timing a 5.7 motor 350 after a full tune up and a new distributor do i need a scan or special tool to set timing and firing to re learn the pcm amd cam ?

Asked by Mar 20, 2017 at 11:02 PM about the 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLE 4WD Extended Cab LB

95,805

Maybe this video will help --- https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=rPlYNtNkI9k

105

no special tools required just "eye ball it" take loose the first spark plug and put a paper towel there and manually turn the motor clockwise until it pops out then you should see the timing marks facing upwards (toward the intake) simple turn the distributor towards the "1" mark on the distributor (if it has on that is) if not the its the one on the right 2 peg clockwise from the bolt on the distributor cap and then the firing is 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 (don't quote me on that) unless otherwise marked, its marked on the front of the intake on the top, best of luck -RTBBilly

Hello can't click on video my problem is after tune up and handset distributor where it should be but I think I am to advance because it will start cold but after full tempature running at normal hot shut it off turn back on in a short time truck has a hard time starting I think it has to much combustion and cylinder one is not resting right for firing on a hot start so doing some checking into this problem I discovered that you need a scan tool to re learn cam and computer to set timing right for firing and right combustionisthis true? On this motor I can't use a timing gun..it does not throw any codes while ruining or driving just a rough start when it's hot or warm and at right tempature..so am I off a couple of degrees..thanks for getting back to me.

95,805

Just search Youtube for what you need.

I do see firing order and the rotor point is set at cylinder one it will crank and give you the impression that it wants to start on a hot start not cold cause it to rescind on cold start...but after a few times turning the key it will start...but by me doing this all the time I will either burn starter out or fowl spark plugs don't want to do that ... And also with being fuel injected it's not like on a carburetor motor you can pump accelerator a couple of times and it will start and it being all computerized that is why I think I need a tech 2 scanner for reteaching the cam and pcm. Plus I also thought when u have everything correct as far as firing order and once running I thought it self adjust timing but I'm wrong

Ok I did do the hand crank to set timing marks their is a line then a little v cut behind now I had them lined up then went to distributor and turned it to it was dead center cylinder one close everything up turned on a cold start and started but if I run it for awhile and allow motor to get at normal temperature and then shut it off fees minuted later when starting it or trying it takes a time crank over but shows up no codes as check engine light or misfire codes and my obd11 code reader and engine code reader says everthing is good.

So this has to be a timing off or combustion problem when running on hot

105

I do apologize i had meant to respond yesterday but my computer crashed, so if its not starting while hot then its most likely a sensor not the timing, you can tell its not the timing because its starts to begin with, or else you would have to set the timing every time you start the motor, so check the brain by unhooking the battery + cable for five or so minutes and hook it back up and try to start the engine (while cold first) and if it continues try to "debug" the emergency cooling system, i do think you are looking at a sensor. (unless its injected that is) so just get back to me if it continues to have this problem. NOTE it is impossible for the timing to change its self back when its cold, however the timing chain can stretch when its hot.