Bad ground?

305

Asked by Feb 02, 2013 at 10:37 AM about the 1993 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SLX Extended Cab SB

While im driving my truck acts as if i
put it in neutral. Last for just a
second, sometimes it "stutters" per
say, The engine revs but it doesn't
actually kept going.
I know its not the tranny because
when this happens all gauges, lights,
even the radio cut out.
Bad ground somewhere?
Alternator maybe?

89,695

I would start looking with the ground connections. If it was an alternator, the battery would carry the load. There should be both a ground to the engine and to the frame.

Yep, and that ground often is a bare flat strip of braided copper or steel, going from engine to firewall

305

What are the common grounds? Like what ground would link the interior/ exterior lights with either the tranny or fuel pump ( still not sure exactly what's cutting out) The only thing i have done to the truck recently is replaced the fuel pump, put a cd player in, and removed the oil pan due to suspicion of a spun main ( ended up being a bolt came out of the fly wheel and was getting chewed up making the grinding sound)

30,945

Tomorrow (technically later today) I can look up a wiring diagram at work. This is only my assumption but I may be wrong---> If you were losing ground to the trans control module I would also have to assume you would lose your ground to the engine control module. The large ground straps to the engine being bad would cause the engine to die when this happens.---- I will look into the power sources for these items. The ignition switch has multiple contacts in it that feed many things if the engine is on its own it may be a place to start. I will look into it and the more exact detail you can give the more more I can help. How often, temperatures both ambient and engine, driving conditions, what exactly shuts off and what doesn't literally everything.

16,165

check to make sure the electrical connections on the trans are secure an on the pcm. Idk if they are clipped or may have a bolt running down the middle. 93 was the first year for the 4l60e, they stick in 2nd gear when they loose signal. It should just slip, if only for a split second maybe to shift.

30,945

Ignition switch does look like a possibility. Try putting in a switchable jumper between the trans power wire and battery positive. When it does this again quickly flip the switch and see if the trans comes back on.

305

Engine temp has recently begun to get a little hot while driving but it always goes back to normal within a couple minutes. All my gauges jump up except my battery, that drops to bout 12. All interior and exterior lights dim and radio shuts off. engine jumps to bout 2500 rpm and stutters, when i let off the gas everything goes back to normal. Mainly happens when i hit a large bump or i get on the gas to pass or accelerate after a turn.

30,945

Is your battery serviceable? Is there a place on it to add fluids?

30,945

If all connections look good then rig up that switchable jumper.

305

Positive on the battery is a little rusty. what do you mean serviceable and how do i do the jumper switch

30,945

Serviceable is when there are removable caps and acid has to be added. How much do you know about wiring? Your truck should have a transmission fuse and you can jump directly to that. Clean that positive terminal up really good and wait to see if it happens again. Are you certain the battery is driving that high? I'm thinking it may just be the teach acting up from a bad connection.

305

battery runs at a constant 14. Don't know much about wiring. im bout positive its an electrical problem though

305

And non serviceable side post

45

my truck does them same thing but its when i let off the gas everything dims down and acts like it wants to die

30,945

Check your alternator and serpentine belt

305

Sorry I never got back to y'all on this but I did end up figuring it out, talked to the local shop owner and he suggested a fuel pressure test. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. Replaced that and all is good, but now, started friday, I have a new problem.

80

Ihave a GMC 1500 series 1988 sometimes while coasting it dies then doesn't want to start it just clicks or don't make no sound at all I tap on the battery terminal and most of the time it will start right up and run great I replaced the battery terminals started up and ran great for about two days now same problem again. I was told its the starter. but how can it be the starter if when I tap on the battery it starts? Or is quincidentalthat it starts when Itap the battery? I need opinions!

30,945

It's not the starter, the starter will never shut the engine off. Could be corrosion in the wires.

80

I have a problem with the battery dies after sitting for a day never had a problem till after the alternator gone bad????

80

its also an 89 5.7 gmc

240

It's a fuse in the fuse box that looses connection it's a power fuse 10 amp in the fuse box next to driver door all gauges will quit working except one of I remember correct and that's oil pressure I believe it makes tranny default to third gear on take off and also slip into a neutral state . One other thing causes this too except gauges will continue to work which is odometer wire from tcase to tranny to instrument panel which causes speedo to become erratic

240

The last answer was pertaining to the questions about the tranny and instrument problems

80

My alternator gone bad so I replaced it now I'm having problems with the battery I've put a new one in x2 everything works but the battery keeps dying I have to jump start it if it sits longer then a day?? Can you please help me figure this out

240

I'm not sure what the problem is with the charging issues however I just replaced the speed sensor on my 2001 gmc and my speedometer and tranny both work fine now . However I had had problems before with the instrument gauges not working and the tranny goes to a neutral state and that's when I found the 10 amp fuse was loosing power hope this helps

30,945

You have a parasitic load.

240

What is a parasitic load ?

240

Nevermind I looked it up lol

80

well I do have a parasitic load narrowed down to the accessory fuse does any one have an idea what it might be?? checked dome lights not it??

30

I have a 1993 gmc seirra. It runs fine everything. But when you have to stop my oil gauge drops and it acts like it wants to die. Even worse when the head lights are on. Can someone please help. I'm clueless

30

I have a similar issue but mine is a 97 Chevy Silverado replaced fuel pump thinking it was bad fuel pump still wont enguage. The battery guage isn't working either what u guys think that could be

135

I've got a 94 Chevy 1500. I was goin to work one mornin and hit a pothole. The lights dimmed down and the truck started to dog then shut off. I got it to work and then looked at it after I was done. The truck runs great until I turn on the headlights. It brings my battery gauge way down and draws enough power from my fuel pump that the truck will spit and sputter then shut off after a couple of minutes. Keep the lights off and it runs great. Changed the battery and had the alternator tested 5 times. Checked and cleaned the grounds. Still can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

10

Grounds

50

Fire flares up by steering colum & steering box bad ground got a new starter to need help

10

I got a 1995 2500 gmc that all it does is click... We took the starter out and tested it and it is good but sometimes all i can get is a click. We had to jump it down on yhe starter.... So does antone have a answer to help me??

10

I would check your throttle position sensor. They can show they work but sometimes wear the tape out in places.

I have a 1995 gmc 1500 truck.. Trying to find out why not getting power. Changed to a new battery and it started fine. Next day tried to start it and nothing. No power at all. I have no idea how to check if it's my alternator or not. The battery Reads .01 now and I don't hear any ignition clicks. No lights come on. No radio. Power windows don't work. No key noise when inserting key. Any advice on what to try would be appreciated.

10

Have you checked all fuses.sounds like a bad fuse connection.

16,165

Your battery is now dead, something is staying on draining it. Doubt it is your alternator

Thanks guys I explained the same problem to a mechanic and he thinks it's a main power fuse as well. Now if I can figure out which one and then go from there. Thanks for the advice you guys gave though. Much appreciated

140

Where are the main ground cables at I have a 95 gmc sierra I heard they are somewhere in the kick panels?

30

I have a 1994 gmc sierra every time i start it it wont start it drags i have to press down the gas for it to start. Im thinking its the fuel filter. Or what could it be any suggestions

30

I had that problem and I changed the egr valve and the idle air control valve.

10

I need help

10

I have a 1993 chevy I drove out my yard not even a block my truck cut off and wouldn't start but when I went to start it the next 2 days it crunk rite up drove a lil bit then shuts off then doesn't want to start I done change the distributer what do y'all think

replace the fuel filter

10

Acceleration Problems So I have a 89 chevy suburban 5.7 and I have a problem with the acceleration when headlights on only runs perfect other than that.o yea and radio always randomly goes out new alternator new battery idk what it is I guess I'm gonna check the grounds idk please help can't drive at night runs bad when lights are on

10

Have a question , have 91 chevy truck 1500 with 350, had a bad battery my voltage gauge on dash would read 12 or 13 while running i shut off try start would barely start if not at all, had alternator check said was good, so i replaced battery every thing seems work great ,, BUT now my voltage gauge on dash doesnt work ar all and while truck running i turn on lights some of my lights dim a bit like heater display radio is fine though , voltage gauge is just buried below 9 any ideas

Check your coil is getting good connection. Had the same prob in my 94 Chevy g30 van it was the coil loose

Hey guys I've got a 96 1500 5.7 vortec. I'm so lost on what to check now I've gone over and over on this thing. But idle is fine over 2000rpm is fine in between it's sound like a bunch of guns goin off popping farting lose of power. I like I've said I've been all over this truck and can't fined nothing plz help

The wandering ground and positive battery terminal issue has been a problem with my 1995 GMC 2500 from day 1. I now have 250K and started to pump money into repairs. Was happy until today. We had rain event, would not turn the starter, removed and replaced pos term, hit starter a few times, then BANG, no power.

Hey guys, i have a 93 C1500 automatic that im thinking has an electrical issue. was driving down the highway this morning and all of a sudden i had total tranny slippage. Felt like i was in neutral until i dropped it into 2nd and then it hooked up. felt like it wanted to stall though. as that was happening my hvac blower motor died and then after a few minutes everything returned back to normal. Thinking its a loose ground somewhere?