My 1990 ford festiva won't start other than when starting fluid is being applied. Won't stay running when not apllied. Any suggestions

Asked by Aug 31, 2015 at 12:10 AM about the 1990 Ford Festiva L

56,835

It's a fuel system problem. Turn the ignition key on but don't try to start it. Listen for the fuel pump. It should run for a few seconds. If not, check the fuel pump fuse. If it's good, replace the fuel pump relay. They're cheap. You can also get a hammer and hit the bottom center of the gas tank to try to get the fuel pump going. If it starts, fuel pump is bad. If not, see if you have power at the fuel pump plug. If so, fuel pump is bad. If the fuel pump runs but the engine won't, it's going to be a fuel injector problem. HTH. -Jim

5,625

Work with the above Beam and reply with your findings. Marking that helpful Jim. I'll add, Beam, check the fuel inertia cut out switch. It's below the seat belt buckle roll behind the back seat on the drivers side. If you have panels in the car, there might be a little square access door to it. If it's "out" then the fuel system is off and you need to push it in. If it's in, then just know that it's there.

5,625

The cheapest relay I can find is 55.23!! Not exactly cheap.

56,835

Wow!! I never would have thought they'd be that expensive!! My mistake. Sorry about that! - Jim

5,625

I agree / think they SHOULD be cheap, at least cheap-er.. That 55 is the cheapest and there were 25+ stores.