Dome light master switch added !! 1988 Aerostar

Asked by Jun 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM about the 1990 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XLT Passenger Van

I have an 1988 Aerostar ( ok U can start laughing ......) that I rebuilt from the ground up , new engine , new 5 spd trans , etc (Ok really  laugh again please , just get it out of your system ...LOL !  )  ...
Once the electrical and transmission problems are solved , these vans kick ass !

Most of the electrical is the stupid connector at the fire wall where naked wires are touching wires there , easy fix !
The dome light is an issue Ford didn't address BUT I DID something cool...
Whenever any doors are open , I can hit the "master dome control switch" and the lights are OFF !
I wish I could post a pic of this along with the cool idea of having an door lock switch (that I also added for lock/unlocking if you are in the back seat area ) next to the master dome control switch-  all on the air conditioner hump thing on celing .
None of this was Fords better idea but this made my day !

88,765

Your idea is great, I love it. But you have to remember the Aerostar was a people hauler and most of the people that bought one had young children so you wouldn't want your 3 year old unlocking the doors traveling down the interstate. That is why they put in a lock out switch on the drivers door and newer versions have the child safety lock on the doors. Have you tried to sell the idea to handicapped van conversion units, I think a lot of handicapped van owners would go for something like that.

Good reply , your'e right....! Im a musician who uses it for everything other than that kids ... Also the dome light switch is something that could have been benificial to soccer coaches who had to basicly leave some doors open to empty out soccer equipment etc and not worry about the door light on .

Oh and in the photo youll see the black colored light switch next to the Ford lock buttons ...

6,325

Not laughing at all. Good Idea and I had 2 Ford Aerostars. I had a blue '88 that I drove the hell out of, sold it for $350 and the new owner drove it til it finally died at around 275K miles. The '85 I had was the same way. I always liked the style of them even though they were a soccer mom's transportation. The paint was peeling off in sheets on both of them, the driver's side 1/4 panel was so rotted away on the '88 that you could stick your head in one of the holes it was so big. A real shame too, I really liked both of them . I was gonna fix up the '88 but the paint peeling and body rot was just too much to repair. It needed a whole new 1/4 panel and all the paint stripped and re done. So I just drove it the way it was. Ran like a top, air cond even blew ice cold, reclining captains chairs were real comfy too. . I guess every one of the Aerostar vans rotted away in the same place on the driver's side. The passenger side was fine, except for the paint peeling off in sheets.. Atleast Ford wasn't buying them back like the Windstars that had the bad frame connectors that were coming apart on the highway. They were made in Mexico and rotting away because of the cheap metal that the Mexicans used. The part was part of the whole bottom of the vans so Ford just bought them back from everyone at market value too and then they crushed them. Ford lost a ton of money on the Windstars but made a ton on the Aerostars. Good luck with your Aerostar. Kenny / MrBlueOval.

Best Answer

Mi ford aerostar