wher is the thermostat located on a 1991 ford tempo

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 04:03 PM about the 1991 Ford Tempo 4 Dr GL Sedan

car is running hot think it might be stuck thermostat but don't know where it is

Follow the top radiator hose to the motor - the Thermostat is under the housing - BTW: it's almost never the thermostat - usually, the fan doesn't work. Does it warm up at low speeds and stops but is fine while driving? Or does it overheat quickly?

there is where different experiences differ. I've owned 25 cars and any over heating problem I've ever had was fixed with a new thermostat (except when of course it was a rad and never [yet] the electric fan.

I can safely say that our shop replaces Electric Engine cooling fans (from various manufacturers) at about 4 per month in a fleet of nearly 1800 vehicles. Any time there's an over-temp condition, we replace the thermostat. I don't think I've seen more than 5 thermostats fail in my career of 30 years - all catastrophically. What usually condemns a cooling system these days is weak, diluted coolant and the mixture of metals in the cooling system and worn out electric fans. Looking over the 463 vehicles I serviced last year, I replaced 11 electric fans and their control modules - 10 Ford Crown Victoria PI's and one '07 Chevy Malibu.