Crank no start issues, have been messing around for a few days trying

5

Asked by Apr 15, 2014 at 03:25 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram Van 3 Dr B250 Cargo Van

replaced the fuel pump relay, did same thing, here is where we are at. 1994 b250 ram van 3.9l. when key is in the on position and check engine light comes on the van starts right away, but when key is in on position with no check engine light it cranks but wont start no fuel pump noise and no relay click. What should i check next? is the computer acting up? like i said when key turned on and check engine light comes on fires right up. asked someone at the parts store with no help.so ignition switch? computer (pcm) or what?

50

I'm dealing with the same thing with my 1993 Dodge B 250. Did you ever resolve this issue ? I also lose power at 55 mph and can't / won't restart til the check engine light illuminates.

260

I had same issue on my 1992 B250. turned out to be the PCM($150), At first it would just cut out when driving and I would start again. Then it I would have to pull over as it took longer to start. I hadn't noticed the 'check engine' light not coming on until many stalls/ no start. had originally replaced Fuel pump, relays, Crank shaft sensor and ignition switch.

260

Haven't had a stall or no start since I replaced the PCM 2 years ago. Simple replacement job as it's on the firewall inside engine. .

30

@ChrisbVan: do you mind if i ask where you bought the PCM and whether you had to get it flashed for your VIN?

260

I bought the PCM at AutoZone. about $170. (I see they are less online now) They only offer refurbished. All I did was take the original off the firewall and connect the refurbished one be gentle with the wires. I did not get it flashed. I don't remember if having overdrive(optional) made a difference. I have overdrive and it works. haven't had the no start condition since I replaced it .

30

thanks for the info. did your old pcm have a part number on it? mine doesn't. AZ has two different 1994 b250 3.9L PCMs -- different part numbers and different prices.

260

I don't remember is it did and I handed it in for the core charge. Mine was for the 5.2L The only thing I can recommend is contact the manufacturer of the PCM and ask which would be for your engine. I looked online on Autozone and see 2 also listed looking the same with not much price difference.I believe the only differences would be overdrive or not. Autozone show as Cardone reman PCM. If that's the manufacturer your looking for go to WWW.CORDONE.COM and ask them which is for you. Or do similar for any other brand.

260

That''s WWW.CARDONE.COM (I miss spelled as CORDONE)

260

I see the difference of the 2 online is the OEM part number it replaces. Another option would be to contact Dodge parts directly and see if they have that OEM part number listed. They may even know it if they don't carry it anymore.

30

yes the oem part numbers differ -- but since the 3.9 was not available with overdrive that year, there must be some other reason. thanks again.

260

I know I opened the PCM up to look inside and see if I could find a bad wire or something. It was only a few screws. I may have found the part number on the computer board in there. There wasn't much to it on the inside. Just the board and wires. .

10

The difference is one if federal emittion and the other is California. Emittions

10

But as important as that is the shorted wires that caused it to burn out need to be found. Pcm units almost never go bad by themselves. I went to 120 feet of heat resistant electrical tape before I found where mine was shorting out

30

i eventually spotted the part number -- standard motor products reman part # EM9903. the harness was 100% fine. opened PCM up, reflowed the solder joints at the connector and board. now works great $0 spent- can't knock that price

30

oh, and i do agree that the ICs and the discrete electronics inside the box rarely fail without some help, with the possible exception of electrolytic capacitors. i've seen those fail now and then.