What is the description of "original equipment tires" put on my van when it was manufactured. I would like indepth details please.

Asked by Jan 30, 2007 at 11:56 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram Van 3 Dr B250 Cargo Van

I am having trouble getting the right tire for my 3/4ton van.  I had P235/75/R15 - Radials on it for 4 years and I never had any worries about traction or getting stuck.  I went everywhere with no problems.
In December of 2006 I went to Big O Tires for used/take off tires.  They told me I had the wrong tires to begin with, that I needed 6ply instead of 4ply. They convinced me to get (4) LT235/75/R15 - M & S.  I have never been so disappointed.  I keep getting slipping and sliding on wet or muddy roads (my drive-way).  
So my question is what are the best tires for my van and what tires were put on my van in 1994 when it was built?????

15,570

Hello dumpsterqueen-- The original tires on your 1994 Dodge Ram B259 van were 225/75/15. Dodge offered an upgrade option to the 235/75/15. It seems the change you made was not in size, but in the service designation- the P that proceeds the numbers. The P meant passenger vehicle. Your new tires have the service designation of LT, meaning light truck. Your new tires are designed for carrying heavier loads. That is the only difference I can see. For a complete education in tires and to find the tires you need, go to my favorite dealer at-- http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.jsp. Read what they have to say and let me know what you decide. Good luck from Bovan.

24,300

Hey dumspter queen. I did come across one user review of the Firestone Destination A/T tire that came from an owner of a 1994 Ram. He loved them, given them 4 ratings (out of 5) in wet, handling, comfort, and noise and a 5 rating in dry. This site ( http://www.1010tires.com/TireReviews/Firestone_Destination_AT_tire_reviews.html) showed a lot of good reviews for that particular tire so they may be worth a look. Here is the link for info about that tire on bovan's tirerack.com site ... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT... Hope that helps ...good luck!