I just bought a 91 Ranger XLT reg cab and behind the drivers seat is a factory box that has a toggle switch on one side and wires going in on the other. What is it?

Asked by Apr 30, 2013 at 08:51 AM about the 1991 Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab 4WD SB

There is a box with 2 bolts holding it onto the back of the cab behind the drivers seat.  Right side of box has wires and left side at bottom has a toggle switch.  I have no idea what it is for.  Can you tell me?

104,765

I have no clue why there would be a switch there. Perhaps a light for the truck bed. What makes you say that it is a factory installed item? Is there any power on the wires?

There is power and toggling the switch makes no noticeable changes. (No lights come on, everything still works, etc.) You can tell it is factory installed because there is aobvious cutout in the moding for it, the bolts hook through it and there is wrapping around the wires. I have included several pics.

More

third

104,765

The box looks factory from the color and grain matching. The toggle switch doesn't look like something a factory would install. The wire looks like it has a grey outer jacket and blue ground shield which would make it a communications cable. Possible a Beldon brand wire. It could be something installed for a old speaker system.

It has factory speakers because the tire jack is bolted to one. I cannot see where the switch was added later. No puncture marks from someone drilling. I bought it from an old gentleman who was original owner. Not the stereo upgrade type. Could it be a setup for a subwoofer option from factory?

104,765

I have no clue why it's there. Only going by what I see and what has been on other trucks. Find a Ranger forum and see if the other truck owners know the purpose.

275,165

I searched around and found it to possibly be a 4x4 module. Here is the site I found the info on......http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1339511-4x4_low_will_not_engage

Best Answer Mark helpful

That seems to be what it is. When I engage or disengage the 4x4, I can hear it click, when the seat is up. I am not sure what the switch is for, but you seem to be correct. I don't know why you would need to power off the module, considering I have a power module to engage the 4x4. Thank you everyone for helping me out on this.

135

It is the right place to be a 4x4 module, but I am thrown off by the toggle switch.....

430

The box is factory but the switch was added. You have not idea how it was installed so I would remove it if its not needed to prevent future problems/shorting, etc.