Why no fire from the coil?!?!

Asked by May 06, 2014 at 12:27 PM about the 1991 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab 4WD SB

I replaced the head gaskets on a 91' Ranger 2.9 liter v6. I made sure to mark the distributor so it went back in the same way it came out. After I get it all back together, it wont start. I made sure all pigtails are connected etc. I found that I am getting power to the coil but no spark from it. I replaced the coil and the same outcome. Any ideas? I'd rather not just throw parts at it. ( Ignition control module, etc.)

78,075

You should have replaced the distributor stator and ignition module while you had the distributor out. Try this: disconnect the spout connector then try to start it, if it starts you have a bad ECM, if not then disconnect the ignition coil connector and put a test light in it's place and crank the engine, watch for a flashing light on the test light, if the light flashes then your coil is bad if no flashing light then the ignition module and or distributor is bad, replace bad components, start engine, set base timing, turn off engine, reconnect spout connector and restart engine. HTH

240

what is a spout connector ?????????

78,075

There is a little connector that is about 6 inches from the module connector, it is usually taped to the harness, most of them are black but there are a few that are gray depends on where they are manufactured.

240

ok found that gray connector ..4 or 5 wires going into the dist ...just didnt know it was called that ...

78,075

That is the module connector. Go to: https://search.yahoo.com/search? p=91+fors+ranger+2.9+spout+connector+picture&fr=ymyy-t- 999&fr2=p%3Amy%2Cm%3Asb That will give you a picture of it.

240

im going through the same thing with my 1990 ford ranger ,,everything new and no spark ..

78,075

Do the same test as stated above.

240

what happens with mine is ,, i turn the key on ,,one spark ,, i crank it and it sparks like 3 more times and its done ..no more spark til i shut the key off and do the same thing ..one spark ,,then 3 sparks then none at all ...

240

also mine doesnt start when that spout is disconnected ..just as i said in my last comment

78,075

Check your ignition switch, make sure it still is sending a steady power supply to the ignition side. If not replace the ignition switch. If it is then check for steady ignition pulse from the ignition module assembly, if you don't get a constant flash, flash, flash, flash then you could have a failure in one of the new ignition components, chances are really high that the distributor pickup isn't any good. Was the distributor you put in new or a reman?

240

the distributor i installed was a new one ..i have a bad eec relay ,,im going to replace that today ,,will let you know if that was the problem or not ... thanks ken

10

Mine did that and I cleaned the ground on the side of coil and it started sparking right.

10

Crankshaft sensor replace it $150without a good one you will be waiting for AAA on the side of freeway. No spark will happen and no signal to fuel injection. Should start right up after you replace

I changed every thing and still no fire from coil changed distributor and all

78,075

Roland start a new thread, this one is a year old, and you will get more replies. Show year make and model and what you have done.