Turbo trubble?

5

Asked by May 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM about the 1991 Ford Probe GT Turbo

My probe is acting strange just when the turbo is kicking in a "pling" comes and the car dies if you dont relese the gas pedel and then it wakes upp again and in some rpms/speeds it seems to choke is it the engine that dont get air from the turbo?=S please help =(
love the car hate the problem
//J

55

sounds like over boosting where the turbo wastgate isn't opening when you get to peak psi then the ECU shuts the fuel off to stop the pistons melting

75

I went through 4 used turbo's turbo's when I wanted to rebuild one and drop it in. And I found that the exhaust housing cracks at the wastegate and it happened to every one. But that's just a side note I guess. I'm gonna have to agree that you've probably got troubles with the wastegate, so it's time for a pull and inspection. But when you're in there check the turbine cause mine still made 9psi with so much shaft play I could make a knocking noise with it by finger. Best of Luck

45

Thats a stuck wastegate my friend. Cheap fix: Boost controller Proper fix: External Wastegate :p