Gas Mileage

35

Asked by Jun 17, 2008 at 03:23 PM about the 1991 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback

Idk if all 2.3 automatic mustangs got the same mpg but I get around 20 drivng the speed limit everywhere, taking off slow and everything else i can do to get the most out of a tank. This last tank i got about 14 mpg. Sometimes my car also smells like gas while driving. So all I want to know is what mileage do the 2.3 automatics get? What are the possibilities of that gas smell? What can I do to improve gas mileage other than putting in a 5 spd?

check your gas tanks for leaks

85

Hey I have a 1991 2.3L hatchback too, and i get 20+ or so while driving the speed limits as well. If you say you got 14mpg then make sure you check again if you didnt by mistake count wrong. Also check your tire pressure. 34 psi i think is the right air pressure not sure, but its around there. Also fast acceleration, and idleing can decrease your mpg by 20% or so. Make sure your air filter is clean. Things like lights and music can affect it too, since they use electricity and therefore your car has to use more gas to provide more power. If you smell gas, then maybe you should check your spark plugs to see if they are burning enough fuel. Check for leaks!

165

A cold air intake will improve your m.p.g and give it a little pep. I would be concerned about the gas smell. I had a 735 BMW and it was a leak from the gas line. It was an easy fix. Trace your gas line and check connectioins to see if there are any leaks. Poor mpg could also mean you need a tune. Check your spark plugs. If one seems more fouled than the others. It is not firing and wasting gas. You may just want to go ahead and tune it up. My V8 gets 17 if I don't dog it.

1,095

yeah check the gas line... it might need a tune up too... putting in a 5 speed isnt really a option... but in the city i wouldnt expect more than 20... highway yeah i would expect more ... check the tires... fuel line... and gas tank...

10

Dear Asshole with the BMW You rank as high as a Kia owner. Who gives a fuck what you think. I'm sure you throw cash at it.

10

PS... you have a small cock. You are one of the assholes I never date.