my 1991 ecsort gt won't start

Asked by Mar 20, 2007 at 02:17 PM about the 1991 Ford Escort 2 Dr GT Hatchback

The car won't start when you turn the key, when roll starting it acts like it wants to start but isn't getting any fire. Not sure if it's the ignition switch? Bought a new ignition switch and went to change it out and can't find it, is the lock, key & tumbler and ignition switch all one part on this car?

22,820

Hi smn! Here's a no-start troubleshooting guide to help walk you through some of the possibilities. Hope it helps, good luck! http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/index.html

Thanks for the help LouB but that was pretty basic stuff that I've gone through already. Thank you though!

35

Have you tried the fuel cut off switch located in the boot under the spare wheel? also if you turn the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump buzzing?

1,005

I had a '91 LX and I had an issue with the fuelpump, Had to bypass something to make it run (Don't know what, the mechanic did it, was my first car...) if it's not the cutoff switch, that could be your problem. Make sure it's getting fuel.

5

the fuel cut off switch is not located in the boot.you will find in the passenger foot well behind panel under the glove box

35

I guess US escorts have them in a different place them UK ones then. the cut off switch on mine is under the spare wheel