Power Steering doesn't work on my 1991 Dodge W250 Cummins Truck

Asked by Nov 05, 2015 at 11:23 AM about the 1991 Dodge RAM 250 2 Dr STD 4WD Standard Cab LB

I have a 1991 Dodge W250 with the Cummins Diesel Engine. My problem is the power steering. It has never worked for several years. The previous owner said it had a leak so he replaced the Power Steering pump, the gearbox and both lines. But there is still no power assist. The reservoir is full and there is no air in the system as far as I can tell (No foaming). When I have the front of the truck jacked up, turning the wheels lock to lock it will blow fluid out of the reservoir and actually turn the cap. Not sure what the problem is. Everything is new. Maybe there is a faulty part? Bad pump?

It sounds like a blockage in the system, could be the steering box, you might try unhooking the return line and put it in a bucket and start it and see if it flows freely into the bucket, but don't run it too long or you will fill the system with air. HTH

Ok. I will try that. Anything else I should try doing to see what the problem is? With the engine off and the front wheels off the ground, turning the wheel lock to lock slowly, somewhere around the pump it makes a hissing noise. When I drained the system and put new fluid in, there were never any bubbles or foaming. Just the fluid would rise and go back down. Could there be something wrong with the pressure control valve in the pump? There is nothing at idle or going down the road at 60mph. The pump makes no noise at all.

The hiss is the pressure valve dumping pressure, I would check and make sure it is hooked up properly to the steering box, usually the fittings are different size but sometimes aftermarket parts can have the same size fittings, might be worth a look.

Ok, I just pulled off both lines, High pressure and return line, blew them out and installed all new o-rings. Pulled the pressure control valve out of the pump to see if it was blocked or something. Everything was clean. The gearbox is functioning correctly, with the return line off box and rotating the steering shaft back and forth it will shoot fluid out. I flushed the system again. Bleed it and all. After firing the truck up with it up in the air, the fluid in the reservoir just sits there and doesn't move. No air bubbles or anything. It doesn't even make any noise at all, and when turning the wheel lock to lock there is no squealing at all. Nothing. I almost think the cheap AutoZone reman pump is faulty?

I think your right, you should see some swirl action inside the pump's tank and you should hear the pump work when you turn the steering wheel.