Oil pressure

Asked by May 13, 2013 at 09:16 PM about the 1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

How wud I find out if oil gauge works
cuz it goes up n down can me one tell
me y

connect as second, analog pressure gauge to see if your electrical one is going bad...there are "hotrod" custom oil pressure gauges that work like this I'm sure summitracing has them JCWhitney's got 'em...you could make it a permanent part of your dash if you've got the room...ole' analog gauges...often I reflect on how we're led astray by our sophistication~

here's a mechanical style (I like it) you'll have to poke a hole into the firewall to let the pressure hose through tho...instructions are on the kit~

we could look toward ground, clean the 1/0 cable from the battery to the chasis, or faulty grounding of the instrumentation...or plain ole' defective display....but often times the electrical system of the automobile is taken for granted....12 Volts is often 10.5 or 18 volts things get wonky, the ECU is working off of 'brown' power and nothing behaves correctly....all because of bad ground (connection to chassis from battery)~

Your battery better be newer than five...you cannot duck the 10% per year denigration built-in right into every battery....at the factory~

Alryt I'm going to check that first then I'll go from there

If your gauge is moving then it's working, the needle on your oil gauge should go up with speed and down when you slow down. You should be concerned if your oil pressure drops below a certain point, check with your local parts store as they should have the specs for your vehicle. But if in doubt check the oil pressure with a oil pressure gauge.