changed fuel filter now truck won't start

Asked by Oct 30, 2013 at 05:26 AM about the 1991 Dodge RAM 150 2 Dr STD 4WD Extended Cab LB

I have a 1991 d150 it started having an issue going over 65 miles an hour seemed like not getting enough gas, then after a week could not go over 45 miles an hour, so I changed the fuel filter.  Put the new filter in and now it won't start I have turned the key at least 40 times and cranked it for just a second and let it sit for 20 seconds then again and again to prime the lines.  Tried cranking it for 20 seconds or more several times.  Let it sit over night and still won't turn over unless I use starting fluid then it will run as long as I keep sending starting fluid in.  I don't think I put the fuel filter in backwards, if so would this prevent the fuel from going thru, or is it a defective filter.  Also when I push air in the old filter it is definitely clogged.  I also noticed on the old filter is seems to have a pressure plate in the in port of the filter and not on the out port of the filter.  Leading me to believe it is possibly a one way filter.  Thank in advance

Fuel filters are installed only one direction. Look at the housing of the filter and there shoud be an arrow stamped on it in what direction it needs to be orientated, arrow towards the front of the car/engine. I suspect you install backward.