Speedometer doesn't work - 1990 RAM 150 LE 4WD

5

Asked by Sep 18, 2011 at 11:50 PM about the 1990 Dodge RAM 150 2 Dr LE 4WD Standard Cab LB

The speedometer in my stepson's truck isn't working. It is a 1990 Dodge PowerRam
150 LE 4WD. Someone mentioned it was possibly a sensor on the transmission but
the manual I have for the truck doesn't mention any sensors. The procedure for
removing the speedometer cable just mentions unscrewing it from the transmission
housing and the dash instrument panel.

Is it really that simple? Would there be anything else besides a bad cable or a
problem in the instrument panel itself that would cause the speedometer not to
work?

NO,just the cable.but it is not just a simple job,to get it unhooked from the cluster,it is best to pull the cluster to get at the cable,it dont screw into it,it clips in.pulling it is no big deal.

55

i had the same problem with my truck i all did was crawled underneith it and seen my cable haning and plugged it back into the tranny

80

I have a 1990 Dodge Ram LE 150 and it runs beautifully. Although, NOTHING is wrong with it the Maintenance Required light/indicator on the dash will not go out. PLEASE let me know who I can get it OFF without having to go the the dealer. Thanks A LOT.

305

mechanical speedometers are very simple because its eitheir the cable or the head 99% of the time if something goes wrong and with a 1990 you have a mechanical speedometer