2006 caravan will not start instrument panel does not light up and key fobs will not lock or unlock

60

Asked by Sep 17, 2014 at 08:55 PM about the 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

my 2006 caravan will not start or even turn over. It tried to start then died. The light on
the insturment panel will not come on but the radio, a/c, lights all work. The battery is
good, the starter will work when i jump the connections at the starter. We checked all
the fuses and relays.the key fobs will not open or shut the  locks.We unhooked the
battery and put it back in. tried the door lock trick to try and restart the security system
as it acts like it is in anti theft mode. any ideas?

35,005

If the battery is good then it's very likely it's the anti theft system.

60

Just a update for anyone interested. Called my local Dodge dealership and got a very helpful guy he told me to hook my car up to a battery charger and leave the key in the on position for at least 55 minutes as it will re boot the security system. I did this and the instrument lights came back on and it started right up. Drove it around the block no problems. Turned the car back off and it would not start and the key fobs would not work. I messed around with trying to start it and it started back up and the extra key fob would lock and unlock the doors but only when it was running. I turned it off again and could not get it to start. I rebooted the system and it started again. I thought since the man was so helpful id take it up to the dealership. When i got there and turned it off it would not start back up I told them everything I have said in the last two posts. Service manager said yep it is the skim system. Then it gets worse they told me it started and they could not get it to not start but they were checking. Told me the keys were fine ok I thought. Then after several calls they told me i needed a new egr valve for almost 600 bucks this has nothing to do with my problem it was a security system lock out the van was running great. I went back up and got my van it starts and runs now (i think they did something but were trying to upsale me they told me they could not look further until they fixed the egr). The keys still wont work at all most of the time but it will start normally most of the time or i can goose the gas until the red alarm light goes out and then it runs just fine, So no faith in these guys im just a normal guy and even i can see its something with the electric or security system not the emissions.

35,005

Hummmmmmm. Somehow they missed the "Flux Capacitor" But I bet they only save that answer for female customers.

20

I got the remote car starter installed in Dodge Caravan 2006 this week. And today I noticed the Vehicle Theft Alarm light (red light) in the instrumental panel. The vehicle is starting and functioning properly at the moment, but I would like to know the implications/potential problems posed by this and recommended solutions. Thanks for your help!

50

Well, i hapend to ask my 2006 dodge caravan wont start, and here i am.diagnose was made, battery is good starter is good. I know is something electrical.