brake lights wont work no power at stop switch

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 07:33 PM about the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 4 Dr SXT Passenger Van Extended

replaced bulbs fuses are good replaced
stop switch

35

Did you try to jump a hot line from the fuse box or battery to the brake switch and see if they work? Is the switch adjusted out enough to dis-engage the switch when the brakes are applied?

I didn't think it had an adjustment

18,520

Use a test light to check for power.

18,520

Put test light clip onto a good ground onto vehicle take test light end which has a very sharp point and poke it into one of the wires going to the brake switch. One wire the test light will light up if you have a good ground and the other wire should light up once you depress the brake pedal if this one does not light up you have a bad brake switch.

I did check for power and there's no power at the stop switch and all the fuses are good what does that mean

18,520

Did you test the test light to make sure it was working before you did your test. Best way to test light to make sure it is working is to put clip onto a good ground touch light to one of your fuses and it should light up.

yes I checked it on the battery I was thinking the stop switch was bad that I've just put in but I don't seem to have power at the connector

18,520

You need to check if test light works before you test the switch. Since your fuses should be near by brake light switch do as I suggested to make sure you have a good ground and the light is working before test the brake switch.

18,520

If you do not found a good ground under your dash for the test light it will not work.

18,520

I believe I am explaining it wrong about how to test the light from under the dash. The same test you tested the test light from the battery

18,520

to make sure it was working is the same test you have to do when use test light under the dash you have to make sure the test light lights up before you test your brake light switch you may think you have it on a good ground under the dash so just make sure light comes on before testing switch. I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand.