95 Dodge Caravan with Security System Died While Driving Down the Freeway

5

Asked by Apr 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM about the 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

It restarted after 45 minutes then died a few minutes later. Got towed home, then car started ok and I turned it off. The next day it started ok but died after a few minutes at idle. It turned over, but wouldn’t start. Now, it only starts after I leave the Neg batt terminal off overnight. It will idle for a few minutes then die and won’t restart unless the batt is again disconnected overnight. When it does start, I need to push on the gas pedal harder and harder to keep the engine running at a steady 2k rpm. When I let off on the gas, it dies right away and won’t restart until the next day.

I put in a new crankshaft sensor and ASD relay. I replaced the 17 yr old fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump relay with the existing backup light relay. I cleaned the throttle body (really sooty) with carb cleaner and sprayed down into the IAC valve. The only trouble code is 12 (the battery was disconnected), as expected.

What devices and sensors can repeatedly work ok for a few minutes once a day and then die until the battery is disconnected overnight?

The car has a Mopar EVS2 security system. When armed, this system is supposed to keep the car from starting. Could it also be shutting the car down after idling 2 minutes everyday? If so, how do I remove it?

3.3 engine, 123 k miles Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1996....hmmm, the battery is old and giving you electrical problems....get a new one.