2005 pt cruiser died after backing up 5 feet

20

Asked by May 17, 2015 at 01:37 PM about the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

Now it won't run or even try to start.  I've traced electrical to the engine starter motor
relay.  I get correct voltage to this relay from the ignition switch when turned to the
"start" position.  I can get the starter to run (engage) if I jumper the terminals that feed
electricity to the starter motor.  I've swapped out several relays and still doesn't work.  
This leaves connection on the other side activation coil on this relay as the likely
culprit.  This feeds electrically to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM/computer).  My
guess is that the PCM is blocking the flow of electricity.  There are several reasons I
can think of which might be causing this.  One would be a bad PCM itself OR perhaps
the transponder/security system has crapped out and the PCM now thinks I'm trying to
steal the car.  How do I determine which one is the cause?
Also, could there be any other reasons why this happened?

240

Try closing door and use your key to Manually lock and unlock driver side door(don't use remote)......

240

Could be security activated.....that's how to deactivate....

240

Good luck

20

That was a great suggestion (I've had to use that trick before when replacing a battery), unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. I just wish I knew how to find out exactly what failed so I can replace it. I was wondering if the OBD interface might have a statistic of attempts to start without correct transponder response. I guess I can check the transponder in the key to make sure it is working correctly (most locksmiths should be able to do this). I'm also going to check with some shops to see if they can do diagnostics on the PCM if I remove it from the car and bring it to them. Perhaps the same for the ignition switch which I would assume has the transponder sensor in it.

240

Have you check any fuses....cause there is also a fuse that's related to engine control and what it does is instead of carparts going bad this fuse blows up preventing you from start up and messing your car up.... In my car this fuse is yellow 20amp.....if its not then could be worst...good luck

20

Unfortunately it was the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Not cheap, but at least it's running again.

240

Good job..... Now anyone with this problem knows how to fix it.....