PT Shuts off In Traffic but Runs Great Otherwise!
This is a 6 year problem with the Chrysler dealership in Ft Walton Beach, FL still looking at
1) Check Engine light comes on
2) Check Engine light begins to flash
3) The next time I let off the gas (as in negotiating a turn) the engine shuts itself off (no
sputter, just like ignition is turned off automatically)
4) Pull off to the side of the road, put in park, cycle ignition and it starts up and runs great
5) Even though it runs great at this point the speedometer reads 1/3 of actual (uniformly
from 0 to 30 mph it reads 0 to 10 mph)
6) Half the time the blinking check engine light is accompanied with a rough running engine
but it always restarts after ignition cycle and runs great
7) OBD reads about every sensor there is, many have been changed over 6 years. The
PCM is saying over time that when it happens everything looks bad to the PCM.
8) It happens in weekly in summer. In winter maybe every other month.
9) Random lights come on like oil and airbag with no other symptom.
If the check engine light does not come on this car runs great. It just likes to shut itself off.
Any ideas as to what this might be?
it may be the idle sensor or the wire harnes could be bad and making contact with other cables or ground.
Ground and power intermitant sounds right. Peaty is spending the next few days with the mechanic at Chrysler dealer. Next is new PCM. Then they want to check for oil wicking up into the harness causing cross-talk across the cables. They have run diagnostics over extended period back to Detroit. No luck yet!
My 2001 PT Cruiser shuts off every 5 minutes there is no check engine light on it all the wiring are good all the sensors are tightened what could cause it to shut off a lot
Looking for a Used PT Cruiser in your area?
CarGurus has 2,505 nationwide PT Cruiser listings starting at $450.
Search Chrysler PT Cruiser Questions
Chrysler PT Cruiser Experts
#3Kelly Little AshfordReputation1,500