My 2005 PT Cruiser won't start. I turn the key and can hear low hum for 2-3 seconds but nothing else?

10

Asked by Jul 04, 2015 at 05:51 AM about the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

Battery has been checked and is fine. Can Not jump start the car. Earlier in the week
started the car and drove a short distance had to stop engine to use key to open
hatchback, then it wouldn't start- started when jumped. Next day would not start and
would not jump. After attempting to bypass cellinoid still would not start. Tried one more
time and it started was able to drive with no problem. Drove to auto parts store had
battery tested and it is good. Started car this morning with no problem drove about one
block to convince store and then it would not start. Can hear a low nearly inaudible hum
when turning the key that lasts 2-3 seconds but nothing else.

17,660

I see in your question that you had the battery checked did you also have charging system checked. Could be a bad alternator should be charging at 14 volts.

10

That checked out fine as well.

17,660

I have heard a lot of complaints of this happening to this vehicle should be but there is no recall for thi problem.

17,660

Only thing I can recommend is something you have most likely tried already that is remove and clean positive and negative battery terminals and check connections to starter making sure they are nice and tight.

17,660

The humming noise can you tell about were you think the humming is coming from ?

10

Not sure where the humming is. It last 2-3 seconds just after turning the key to start the engine. There is no "clicking" sound. Will re-visit the battery cables and connections just to make sure. Thanks for your help.

40,695

I would think the humming noise is the fuel pump running briefly.

40,695

Check the battery cable connections at the battery and check the connections at the starter.

10

So, removed the battery cables checked to make sure they are clean again. Got every last bit of corrosion off of the posts and the cables. Btw the battery is only a year old. This took about 10 min. Replaced everything and it started took it for a drive about 5 miles. Turned the engine off waited a couple of minutes and tried to start it again and it started right up. Still not sure what the problem is. Will try to get through the weekend and get it to a mechanic after the holiday. Cars only seem to breakdown when you need to go to work or on a holiday weekend.

17,660

Ok keep us informed.

10

So got the car to a mechanic and the problem is the ignition. Easy fix.

Does the car start when you let it sit for about five to ten minuets some times longer rite, the ground to your starter is not making contact the problem is in the black fuse box. I had the same problem run a ground wire from the fuse box ground to the starter . .car starts all the time now. Hint from John San Gabriel ca,