how to fill the power top motor with hydrolic fluid

140

Asked by Oct 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM about the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Convertible

I have a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser.  I have located the power top motor and noticed it has no hydrolic fluid in the resevoir.  I can not locate the plug on the reservoir to fill the reservoir up..I have unbolted the motor from the car, howevere I hav not removed any lines or electrical connections..no matter where I look on the motor there seems to be no fill hole for the resevoir..

50

Have you found an answer to your issue? I am having the same problem...cannot locate how to fill the resevioir.

140

The system is a "closed" system from the factory and therefor not made to enable a refill..I have the same problem with mine and there is a solutioon..here it is...key element here is that when the power top system is activated there is NO pressure in the resevoir..all the resevoir does is enable a transfer of the fluid. That being said what I did is drilled a hole through the TOP of the plastic resevoir and when to Home Depot and bought a small rubber "V" shapped plug to plug the hole after I added hydrolic fluid. Caution here as go slowly while drilling the hole as to make sure the plastic shavings do not get in the resevoir as the drill bit cuts through the plasic tank housing. Then grab a turkey baster, suck the fluid up from the new quart of fluid and carefully squirt it through ht e hole you made in the resevoir (make sure the hole you drilled in the resevoir is big enough to accomidate the size of the hole n the end of the turkey baster or you will make a mess. After the resevoir is filled work the system WITHOUT the plug on to emable the system to bleed tha air out. Continually check for leaks in the system as if you have one, you will see the fluid pour out where ever there is a leak. If there is a leak, the leak myst be fixed (an entire new process) if there is no leak, refill until you are about 3/4 full in the resevoir tank and place the rubber plug over the hole you drilled in the tank and you will be good to go...

60

Had the same problem no fluid in resevoir. Drilled and filled resevoir, ran top up and down but had a leak on one of the cylinders. Parts can be purchased from Top Hydraulic. Replaced both cycinders.

250

What type of hydraulic fluid can be fill with?

50

According to the people at top hydraulic there is only one pump, plus two hydraulic cylinders. Just filling the pump will not fix the problem. You have a leak from one or both of the hydraulic cylinders, and it will not go away. However, they did tell me where the fill plug was located. It looks like a bolt in the pump, and to my knowledge is located in the middle of the top of the pump. Make sure to use a metric Allen wrench. They do not suggest that you drill a hole. However, if someone out there has done that - dphotos would be appreciated.

250

how to where is the motor in a PT Cruiser

250

where is the motor for the convertible top in a computer in a PT Cruiser

10

My convertible top is not working but I do hear the motor so I'm assuming it's hydraulic. Can someone tell me where the hydraulics are located in the car?

50

Elleelle, the pump is located under the back deck, between the glass and rear seat.