Chrysler 04 pt cruiser blows out warm air when a/c is on checked for leaks have none Freon is full compressor works what could be the problem

Danielle Skop

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

It is the trap door not opening to the cools side,check your actuator,it is under dash on blower box.its hard to get at.

Its called a blend door actuator

Bill Straslicka

Two questions: Does cold air come out of the vents if you put the A/C on while the car is moving (say above 30 MPH)? If yes to question one, does the engine idle rough while sitting at a stop light and the A/C switched on?

no, the air is still hot, and when the car is stop it does idle rough only shortly

My engine idles rough while sitting at a stop light and the AC is on, and the car has stalled at this point a few times, and wants to lunge forward. My dealer fixed everything under the sun, but have had the problem for about eight out of the ten years I have owned this 2004 PT Cruiser Touring. HELP!!! So frustrated. Doesn't happen when AC is off. And AC blows cool air, had it recharged in the past.

Bill Straslicka

JoAnne, the problem you’re having is that your radiator fan likely needs replaced as the OEM fans in these vehicles are known to be problematic. The issue is that the low speed on the fan has died but the high speed is still ok, which prevents the engine from overheating. Since the low should ALWAYS be engaged when the A/C is running, there's a simple check to see if your fan is the culprit. With your engine cool, turn the car on and turn on the A/C. If the fan is NOT spinning, it needs replaced. (It’s important to do this check on a cool engine, otherwise the fans high speed may kick on causing you to think that the fan is working properly). This check should also be performed fairly quickly as I don't recommend running the A/C without the fan for prolonged periods. The reason for this is because when the fan isn't spinning, there is not adequate air flowing over the cooling fins to remove the heat from the refrigerant. When this happens, the A/C system builds up excessive pressure and socks the compressor which makes it hard to start. The reason the engine idles rough is because it's being bogged down while trying to run the compressor in this state. You should also know that when excessive pressure builds up in the system, it will vent some R134 (the refrigerant) to relieve the built up pressure and prevent damage to the system. So obviously, if you continue to run the A/C in this state you'll eventually need to add refrigerant. If you’re wondering why the A/C works when the vehicle is in motion, it’s because the air entering the grill from the highway is passing over the cooling fins and thereby doing the work of the fan and cooling the refrigerant. Replacing the fan yourself should take somewhere around 90 to 120 minutes. The actual part costs around $100 and there's a decent YouTube video out there that shows how to do it. ( This DIY repair is well worth it as I've heard some people say they were quoted around $800-900 for the repair at the dealership.