check engine light code p0551 power steering switch may not be working

Asked by Feb 09, 2016 at 07:26 PM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

how do I reset - been told it would cost a fortune to fix

69,895

Sound like a faulty sensor to me...this is what I found........... P0551 CHRYSLER - Power Steering Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance... Possible causes... - Faulty Power Steering Pressure Sensor - Power Steering Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted - Power Steering Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection... An out of range voltage from the Power Steering Pressure Sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM). Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Power steering inoperative P0551 Chrysler Description Power steering pressure (PSP) sensor is installed to the power steering high-pressure tube and detects a power steering load. This sensor is a potentiometer which transforms the power steering load into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM controls the electric throttle control actuator and adjusts the throttle valve opening angle to increase the engine speed and adjusts the idle speed for the increased load...........

69,895

The power steering switch is around $30 depending on where you get it.

Best Answer