Car overheating

Henry O' Tapp

Asked by Jan 10, 2014 at 06:18 PM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

The heat in my car has been blowing hot then cold for two weeks now. I did a radiator
flush this past summer.  I replaced the thermostat two days ago. I heard gurgling when
I started my car so once it cooled; I took off the cap and started the engine to see if it
bubbles. It did bubble quite a bit. I put a make-shift funnel on the opening so the coolant
would not overflow as it heated. It did get hot and the coolant sucked down. I added
more. I hoped the air had been relieved then I drove about twenty miles and the car
overheated again, this time the steam of coolant was coming out from under my hood
at the stop light. It seems like it is coming out of the overflow tank. The engine is
running hot. Any suggestions? I was thinking about changing the coolant sensor next.
Oil looks clean.

Check your uper and lower radiater hoses , check over flow cap or radiator cap ,maby worn If you notice water under passenger side dash (on carpet)its the heater core steam also may indicate engine problems

Henry O' Tapp

I did not see any water under the dash or wet carpets.

Dana Stewart

I am having same exact problems but can't even get the radiator cap off have no idea doesn't come off it turns like it is going to then stops atfer one turn

Dana Stewart

I am hearing the gurgling after mine shuts off and I have tried putting in coolant the universal and the repair stuff to stop leaks but got worse after i did that on saturday and when I tried to figure out how to get cap off radiator there is a gold looks like screw in the middle of the cap and that is what is holding it from turning and getting ti off. I am not a mechanic only a mom trying to save alot of money!

Had the same problem with mine which led to the replacement of not only the water pump and the timing belt (nothing to do with the overheating, but a good idea if your vehicle is anywhere around 100k mileage) but also had to replace the head gasket, the only component you didn't mention had been replaced. Might want to have the condition of your head gasket checked. Hope this is helpful.