I was looking to purchase a 2003 touring pt cruiser

Asked by Jan 15, 2013 at 07:34 PM about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

I was looking to purchase a 2003 touring pt cruiser and the body looks good and inside is great the car is running
good as well. I drove around for 20 min and had my uncle (a mechanic look at it) he said there were no major
problems he could see. Was wondering if $3600 was a good price?

26,785

I honestly cannot recommend the purchase of ANY Chrysler product new OR used! They REALLY do have a VERY bad track record when it comes to overall reliability. I just now looked up the 2003 PT Cruiser on Consumer Reports.org...it has MAJOR issues across the board in Engine, Engine Cooling, Transmission, Fuel System, Drive Train and Electrical Areas. Best to AVOID this one!

even if the car only has 93000 miles on it?

26,785

Hi alex_15, To be 1000% honest with you, that kind of mileage would be all the more reason that I'd avoid it. I can't send you a link from Consumer Reports.org (since you have to be a paid subscriber to view the info.) However, check this out: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2003&make=Chrysler&model=PT%20Cruiser You'll see Engine has significant problems and there are moderate problems with Steering and Suspension according to this review...which isn't as thorough as the CR review I read. Do yourself a HUGE favor and use that $3600 on something a bit more reliable! Chrysler and Dodge products are money pits...remember the Dodge Intrepid? That car had electrical problems from Hell...

1,375

Well, just to counter what smoothpoppa said, I have a 2004 PT Cruiser that I purchased new in April, 2005. I have 268,000 miles on it. Yes, I have had to put some money into it over the years... rebuilt the transmission at 160,000, rebuilt the computer at about 200,000 miles, and replaced the catalytica converter a few months ago. But other than those three things and routine maintenance (regular oil changes, timing belt changes, struts and shocks, brakes, and tires), the car has held up very well. I very rarely have to add oil between changes, the interior has held up amazingly well (I do have leather seats that are still in tip-top condition), and the car is still a joy to travel in. If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem purchasing the car. It you keep it serviced, you should get plenty of use out of it! Oh, and here's a picture of my car...

35

I have a 2003 pt cruiser and couldn't love it more handles great and gets decent gas mileage. yes ive put money into it but lets be honest you'll have to do that with any car. $3600 is WAY to much for that car. you can always look it up on kellybluebook.com.

1,375

I looked it up on KBB and $3600 is a fair price for the car. Again, I'd have no problem purchasing the car if it is in the condition you say it is in.

5

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. I have put 60,000 miles on it in 10 years without any problems whatsoever. It get good gas mileage, is comfortable and reliable. I have no complaints.

I have had my PT Cruiser for seven years. Had 49000 on the clock when I bought it, and now has 126000. Best car I have ever had. Looking to sell it soon, as I have inherited an almost new car from my mother. Sadly she cannot drive anymore. Does anyone think $3000 is too much for it. I will have a brand new warrant and 6 months rego on it, as they are both due on July 7th.