2003 pt cruiser

15

Asked by Jun 15, 2008 at 01:46 AM about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

VERY noisy  brakes
chrysler charged me 24.00 both times I had the brakes checked due to the extreme noise. People look at me all the time / very embarrasing.
chrysler tells me its what the pads are made of/ but they wont do anything about it.
the noise started about 3 months after i bought it new

most breake pads are made of a carbon fiber materal,just about all breaks squeal.i recomand changing the break pads to another brand.AutoZone has a good set of pads-49.99 are quiet pads.just dont let a dealer put them on ,let your local mechanic do the job,can be in and out in 30 minutes.

520

marge.. do you know if you have drum rear brakes or not.. if you do.. these are the same rear brakes as the neon and they all make noise.. you can change to a different type of brake material.. the noise is directly related to the amount of metal content in the contruction of the lining material.. allthough it wont hurt to drive this it is annoying... if you want a no cost psuedo repair, i suggest dragging the brakes for about 1 city block every morning. example ride the brakes down the street (residential driving) for aprox 1 block. while using the gas at the same time to keep you moving.. this will knock the rust off the shoe and usually keep the brakes quiet the rest of the day unless it sits for several hours at a time, now keep in mind this is not enough brake that you are heavily bogging down the car, just enough to know the brakes are on.. noise is usully gone in that 1 block, 1/8 to 1/4 mile.. it does not significantly reduce the brake lifetime as drum brakes usually outlast the frt disc by about 2 times... if the frt are the noise makers, sometimes the finish of the frt rotors will make noise as well have the shop turn the rotors with a non directional surface and deglaze the frt pads.. there are some additives that can be spread on the surface of the brake lining material frt and rear, called b/g stop squeel, this usually works for awhile but driving habits dictate how long it lasts. city not so long... hiway much longer... hope this helped

good advice-one problem ABS,this will not do anything.like above have roters turned only if they are shiny,if dull looking,waist of money.i have been doing this work over 30 years.all break pad sqeel at one point.

520

good advice-one problem ABS,this will not do anything.. what does this mean?

120

You need a different dealer. most brake pads come with an anti squeel plate also avilble is an antisqueel grease which goes on the back side of the pads, use a very small amount. I have an 02 Dreamer with 65,000 miles and factory pads (I am changing them soon) they have never made any noise what so ever.

5

I had mine on the front replaced and they siad the back had some time left. Mine is a 2004 and it wasn't two weeks the squeal came back?

260

If the brakes are of the disc type on front and rear ,there is a product available from most auto parts stores that can be applied to the back of the pad that helps reduce the squeal .

65

is the nose a squeal or a taping or a bang my 06 reg pt cruiser had some nose and i fixed it myself may be aball to halp

260

It is more of a scraping than a squeal.Someone suggested a damaged turbo.I plan to remove it for inspection this weekend.

2,295

we have a product in the uk called green stuff would recomend you change to this as eliminates squeel