03 Cruiser was spuutering when fuel tank was empty and continued after being filled what could be causing this sputtering issue

10

Asked by Feb 02, 2012 at 01:10 PM about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

My wife drove ther car on Empty when the car started sputtering after filling tank sputtering continued.  Mechanics at PB say it was the ignition coil and plugs specifically #2 so they changed them.  After receiving the car back I drove for about two miles and the sputtering was worse than before the car even turned off what could this be?

45

Fuel Pump, but I'd check if its throwing any codes.

45

Its known that if you run any car emply/dry, symptons like you describe almost always lead to a faulty fuel pump, again it could be a fuel injector, but i'd check see if its throwing any codes with the obd-2 reader and go from there.

1,255

It could also be a dirty/clogged fuel filter.

10

Thanks guys for replying: The codes i got back are PO352 Ignition Coil "B" Primary/Secondary Circuit and P2305 Ignition Coil "B" Secondary Circuit. While the car was at pep boys they replaced 2 fuel injectors free of charge for the headache and i paid for them to replace the ignition coil as recommended by there tech and new plugs. After doing this my car was shuttering worse after it warmed up even shutting off while idling. They said it could be the PCM and that I should take it to the dealership for a new one due to them being able to program a new one if purchased. "I dont believe them at all" If you guys can further assist with the information provided I would greatly appreciate it.

45

G......I wish I could help, but it makes it even more difficult to tell what the issue is without actually being there and investigating components. I'd highly recommend buying a manual for your vehicle, it'll give you the symptoms and tell you what to look for in order to trouble-shoot 'em. Good luck and keep us updated. I'd hate to just keep throwing guesses out there, and having you spend money on unnecessary parts.

20

check fuel filter..... lots of sediment/crud in bottom of tank.....allways fix the least expensive possilility first.......if that doesnt do iy....fuel pump

145

The fuel filter is in the tank and you remove the fuel pump to get it out. Just replace the fuel pump and filter as a unit. The labor is the same.

20

Sorry....Remember when it was simple.