A/C problem

Asked by Dec 09, 2008 at 11:00 PM about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT

I'm a newbie to this site. I have a 03 GT that I'm having a problem with the a/c. I got in it yesterday and went to turn the a/c on and it doesn't get cold. It's acting like the compressor is not turning on. The 2nd fan under the hood for the a/c is not running either. I checked the freon and it's full. I'm thinking either a switch or a relay is not working??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10,485

I do have one question..... To properly check the freon pressure the compressor needs to be engaged, how was the pressure checked????? 2nd... If the compressor is not engaging the 2nd fan would NOT turn on. You can bypass either one of the AC switches (HI and LOW Press switches) to engage the compressor.... ONE BIG WARNING.. IF THE FREON IS LOW, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR COMPRESSOR.. Being an 03, with normal mileage, chances are your compressor just gave out, if oil has not been being routinely added to the system. My recommendation, take it somewhere, pay the cash to have it properly diagnosed, because the possibilities are really endless.

155

Ok pick yourself up a can of freon dye, or take it to a repair shop and have them do it. I'd be willing to bet one of the two hoses are leaking freon. My discharge line had to be replaced... the dye went all over the hose. And this part was near impossible to find! I had gone to a dodge dealer/repair shop and they hooked me up with one! He had to get it from a guy like over 150 miles away... but they got it, repaired it, I've been cool ever since! I had a warranty plan when I bought the car, so I only had to pay 100 bucks for it... compared to the 300 some it would have been without the plan! But you can do the dye yourself... If it is blowing air then it is not the compressor... if nothing blows from your vents then it is the compressor. So if you have hot air blowing and not cold, it definitely has to be a leak. We also put a can of freon in... over night it was gone went back to blowing hot air. But you can use the dye just like freon you spray it in the same place you would the freon. Google it if you need directions to do it, it is not rocket science. Good luck with it. I see this post is a little old, did you get it fixed?