I'm not even getting 15 mpg. I just had it tuned-up. Any thing else I should know to get much better

Asked by Oct 23, 2007 at 05:37 AM about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

I have a 2003 base PT Cruiser 5 speed. I'm concerned about getting terrible gas milage,
  aprox. 15 mpg.   I just had it tuned-up ( changed spark plugs, oil, both belts,
there is no check light) I did not improve it's mpg's.  Is my mechanic missing something?
     What can I do ( or my mechanic) to improve mpg?

I like this car, yet with this bad gas millege, I'm thinking getting a
                Nissan or Toyota.  Help needed......

Thank You,  Ed Sanchez

14,285

This is a very difficult question since every car is different and there are so many factors involved with your vehicles mileage. However, I would have the fuel and/or ignition system checked. You may need to have the fuel system flushed with a commercial grade (mechanic only) fuel system cleaner. This should remove the power robbing carbon deposits that build up over time. I would also have the computer diagnostics checked to possibly find a lean mixture symptom. It may not be bad enough to cause the "Check Engine" light to come on, but it could be bad enough to steal some of your mileage. Please also remember that estimated mileage for any vehicle is just that - an estimate. With that said, you should be getting between 21 and 29 mpg. Good luck!

Best Answer

Thank you, I'm going to do what you suggested. I'll let you know the results in 2 or 3 weeks. ( I'm going in vacation!). Ed

if runing regular gas switch to midgrade 89oct.

110

Remember its a heavy car... but tire inflation, is a biggie thing to look at, driving habits are the biggest influence on economy. and how much junk do you carry around? Switch to a synthetic(sp?) oil, I use Mobil One. My 02 gets about 17-19 town and about 24-26 hiway (Cruise control set around 65mph)