Hello! I have a 2002 PT Cruiser that overheats. Thus far the radiator, head gasket, thermostat housing, thermostat, radiator cap, hoses, and alternator have been replaced. Why is it still overheating?

Asked by Nov 26, 2014 at 09:02 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

I've spent about $1700 on this
vehicle in the past few months.
I'm at a loss. I can't buy a new
car right now. I'm trying my best
to fix this one. Help!!!

66,665

I notice you did not say water pump,if all this has been done,you may want to change it.

19,630

T_S_T is right. Who did all the work? There could be an air pocket in the cooling system. When the head gasket was done did they send out the head itself to make sure it wasn't warped or cracked?

Best Answer
5,375

Another option... when the car starts overheating, do you hear your electric fan kick in? Could be the control module that starts the fan when the engine gets hot.

19,630

Good call ytlas!

Thanks for responding. The fan was checked and it's fine. The mechanic had my car for over 5 weeks supposedly due to air pockets and etc. Besides overheating, what other sign is there that the water pump needs to be changed? I completely appreciate your help...I'm a broke teacher..this car is really digging into my short pockets!

19,630

The pump will weep a little bit of coolant even while the car is off or will make noise while running.

Thank you! I'm about to check it out.

19,630

No problem. I would maybe take it to another mechanic. Even an engine rebuild shouldn't take 5 weeks much less a cooling issue. It's my 2 cents worth of advice and you got it for free, lol. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

5,375

I certainly agree that you should get another opinion. Cooling systems are pretty simple. Air pockets? On a drain and refill, I'll fill the radiator to the top but leave the cap off. Start the engine and run it. When the engine gets warm enough, the thermostat will open and the level in the radiator will drop as the coolant starts circulating through the block. At that time you can also see the flow of the coolant inside the radiator. At that point I top the radiator off and put the cap on. After the engine is off and cools down, it will draw a bit more coolant out of the overflow bottle.