why is my pt cruiser overheating.water bubbling and shooting all the water back to the resorvor and dump it out in the over.

Asked by Oct 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

I have a 02 pt cruiser change waterpump.thermostat radiator.hoses heater hoses clean
heater coil.now heater works.didnt work before.bleed air out system.still overheats.water
bubbles to radiator cap then the cap open ups and shoots the water to the resorvoir and
the resorvoir dump out the water.then it overheat.been using distilled water because i
cannot put coolant every 10miles.please help

You might have to do a "block flush" whereby all the drains are opened and the freeze plugs popped out...a BLAST of air/water is forced through the engine hopefully carrying the RUST that's choking the coolant from flowing properly...the freeze plugs will be NEW now and NOT using nasty acids and so forth (perhaps a little soap) to try to erase the damage done when it was topped off with hose water sometime in the past...because someone decided to just let it go and then the corrosion happened before it was too late to put the necessary 50/50 mix...with any luck this "block flush" will put you right...the engine is wasted...there is nothing else that we can do~

Ok first things first, did the car overheat a couple of times prior to this? If yes a head gasket may be in order, the 02 2.4 twin cams had a recall on them early on the head bolts would heat and stretch allowing coolant, oil, or exaust gas to enter cooling system creating the very condition you are describing. All one or two of these symptoms may be present oil on top rear of transmission, steam or high pressure in tank a sign that it may be time to fix the head gasket. Ok so when the car is cold top up coolant leave coolant cap off DO NOT DRIVE let it idle if yoy have steam or bubbles instantly the steam or vapor will have a burned fuel/exaust smell then there it is. Should you need a head neon and caravan 2.4 use the same head. You CANT use a 2.0 head. Must be a twin cam. Head bolts are torque to yeild meaning one time use.

45

Put a new radiator cap on it and be done with it. Water boils at 212 degF at normal atmosphere (pressure) If the cap does not maintain the right pressure, about 16-18psi then your system will boil off.

40

I had the same problem. Got a $6 radiator cap from autozone and BAM! No more bubbling! (Knock on wood) It's been a couple days and I've been driving it. So thanks everyone

1,250

What we found was leaves and trash in the bottom one third of the radiator. Since the A/C Condenser and Transmission Cooler make up the front part of the radiator assembly. And the Water part of the radiator for the engine is the back half (( closest to the engine )) .... Trash, Gunk and Leaves had accumulated between the two parts. The bottom one third of the radiator was so clogged that no air could pass through the cooling fins. We hope this has been helpful......

25

Well Hi my prob is changed the cap and the t-stat, flush with flush + cleaner, Fan is new (prob started this) now bottom hose is cool to the touch but top is blowing it out the cap into the res. Haven't checked the radiator or pump.

1,250

Have you checked between the A/C Condenser and the Radiator? Our Mechanic said that we needed New Head Gasket, Water Pump and Timing Belt with Tensioner and Idler Pulley while he was in there. Cost was quoted at over $2,800.00 ..... It was acting Exactly as you describe. I found Leaves, Dirt and Crap, built up on the bottom half of the Radiator. There is No Way to tell if this is your problem until you physically Separate the A/C Condenser and Radiator and have a look in the middle, at the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the Radiator. We have had Dozens of Private Messages from folks, Thanking us for this advise and telling me that this Was their problem. Since the Car had 88,000 miles on it when we got it from The Mother in Law, we did have the Timing Belt and Water Pump changed a Month later as regular maintenance. The Timing Belt being changed at 90,000 mile intervals is Critical. If it fails, every valve in the engine will be bent or broken. And that is a very expensive repair, when proper and scheduled changing of the Timing Belt is not that bad. Our 2003 PT Cruiser, has been Garage kept and is in Excellent Shape. We are really enjoying it after getting the Over Heating issue fixed. We hope that this has helped you out. Best Wishes and Regards from Wade & Brenda.

105

Hi my pt was lusing water from the header tank I changed the thermostat and toped up with water after getting to normal temp I tuck it for drive temp semed ok but speedo kept jumping up down and the car keped cuting out soe I got back home and let it cool of went back out and checked the header tank and the coulant was ok leval started the car after about 10 12 mins car started to get hot and the water was boiling like a kettle and water presure was coming out of radiator cap and the pipe to header tank

90

Why is my pt cruiser 2001 Chrysler overheating

60

PT Cruisers are particular with the kind of coolant you use. Either use the Mopar brand or the Zerex G05. I guarantee that will solve most of your problems. If you added another kind, you will need to flush it and use the proper coolant. Don't just buy and add the coolant, flush whatever is in there.

50

I don't have an answer, because our PT Cruiser can't stay out of the repair shop for the over heating. We have had the head gasket changed, thermostat changed, on and on and it is still bubbling and over heating. Please give us some additional ideas.

You need to get rid of the air in the water circuit through the vent valve located under the thermostat.

Two days ago my 2008 pt cruiser started overheating. Everytime I stopped at a red light it would over heat, but weirdly enough it would seem fine earlier I put my hand to see if the fan was running and sometimes it would I changed the relays Changed the fan .. no help Finally took to mechanic to find out it is sensor So I hope this helps me and anyone else out there with the same problem

My 2001 PT having same problems as all of the above, my radiator cap d not sit properly on the thermostat housing, was wobbly and loose. cut a gasket and put on cap. i did a pressure test everything looked good installed cap started engine, no more water lost.