what does the ECM code 601 mean for a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited

20

Asked by Jul 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

the check engine light came on after tires were changed.... unsure if related... the ECM code is 601... what does that mean?

Nothing to do with tires. IF you mean P0601 this means the computer cannot access part of its internal memory like a PC whose hard drive has begun to fail and lose memory... so the ECM needs to be replaced.

May I ask.. if when you bought tires were they messing around under the hood of your car?

ECM failures occur when the system ground is not reliable...those three hundred amp starts share the same access point as the ECM..."weld" themselves into position for a "brown out" condition that to the ECM makes them dysfunctional....a renewed ground attachment with takin' the 1/0 cable off and wirebrushing the spot where is was bolted in to establish reliable ground will make the failures disappear~

20

to answer your ? David H25 the light wasn't on when I purchased the vehicle.... the used car dealer changed the tires off site and when the car came back the light was on... I did find out the guy this place was using as a mechanic was not certified and just a helper... so God only knows what they did..maybe even turn the ck engine light off then turned it back on after they got my money... knowing something was wrong.. but thanks for gettting back... judge_roy thanks for your feed back I'm 65 and dont have a clue about cars... wish I had a trusting mechanic....

well dollady64 have your nephew or any handy youngster on your command follow the black battery cable down to where it attaches to the frame or fender....unscrew the bolt (with a wrench) pull out your wirebrush and have him brush the spot where the lug connected...have him assemble it again and your computer brain will be happy again.~

you are not too frail to do it yourself...my 93 year old friend OPAL said "ya gotta keep movin'" and always fixed us coffee [incredibly weak] but had a big heart and kept movin'...until they took her claw-foot tub away from her...she couldn't deal with the flat ones, made her lose her balance~

THAT, dollady is entirely possible. The "Check Engine " light can be re set, turned off, only to come back on after a short time when the OBD detects the same fault.

DavidH25 would disconnecting the battery reset the CEL? or if a persistent condition would make it come right back on again? Why on earth do they not just tell us what the problem is....onboard? they insist we get a "handheld code reader" to find out...what is this all about...$$$ and nothin' more...

20

Thanks guys for all your feed-back.... I live in Northern NJ and have yet to find a mechanic that doesn't say "trust me" I'll never do you wrong routine .... to make things worse I don't know anyone that can help me... $$$$$$$$ seams to be the bottom line.... isn't this sad.... I just pray that when I walk into a shop they wont rake me over the coals... tooooooo much ... BUT! I will keep all the info you guys gave and see how I can use it..... before they empty my purse... In Good Health ........ dee

thanks dollady64 there are a few of us who want you to leave happy too~

Yes there are...........and yep Judge Roy disconnecting the battery will turn the light off on a PT Cruiser, and it may take a couple/three start/run cycles for the OBD to light it again, and part two: why should they? Dealers make about as much or maybe even more money from service than they do selling cars, why make it easy on us? We are at their mercy, most folks will never buy a scanner and the bottom line is the almighty dollar. Just like dollady said.

20

WOW you guys are great..... wish me luck

Good luck doll~

you can get a handheld scanner for around 15 plus shipping...reads the trouble codes and lets you "RESET" them~