the light on my radio stays on for awhile the goes out 2002 pt cruiser radio still works

Asked by Mar 16, 2013 at 01:08 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

the light on the radio only stays on for a short time, then goes out but radio still works, have had readio replaced and worked on but to no avail

the ground connection from negative to chassis is weak, from chassis to engine is weak, or from dashboard to chassis is weak....please make sure that these things are corrosion free---you'll find that after removing the corrosion everything will come back to normal-

10

Hello, I own a 2000 PT Cruiser exhibiting the same problem you describe. The problem is not the radio at all, it is your ignition key cylinder that you use to start your vehicle with. Next time your radio acts up, all you have to do to prove that the ignition switch cylinder is the problem, simply push the key into the cylinder, without turning the key; your radio light should come back on. I hope this helps you. God luck!

thanks cap'n...will register in the possibilities for the cruiser! god speed!

This car is designed like this till key is removed and door opened.

20

The more common 'fix' for intermittent radio display is to just release the steering wheel height and move the wheel up and down a couple of times. Then return the steering wheel to position and 99 times out of 100 the lights are back on and stays on for months and months. Evidently some plug connection in the column gets stretched over time and moving the wheel releases that tension. You can run down the exact problem if you like, but moving the wheel up and down every few months seems pretty effortless and satisfies me. I mean it's only the radio lights, it's not like the engine stops.

I had this same problem with my father's 2002 PT cruiser. The metal actuator pin had broken and I replaced it with a aftermarket actuator. Clock came on when I started the car and then went off. I then read online that someone posted it's the ignition or the electrical actuator switch that actually moves so I replaced both of them still had the problem. I even watched YouTube videos but it seems there were parts missing when they disassembled steering column so that was no help. Here's what worked for me and I believe it will work for you. I removed the electric switch, the actuator pin assembly and ignition cylinder with the key. I sat down in front of my computer screen and looked at images or pictures of PT cruiser ignition actuator switch assemblie,. I looked at the images\pictures which a few of them were wrong on how these assemblies go back together so you need to use your best judgment on what pictures are correct. I assembled the actuator pin assembly and the electrical connection on the bench according to the pictures and then put them as one unit back underneath the steering column. Install the ignition lock cylinder and tried it with success. I then reassembled the underside of the switch pin actuator with the two tamper resistant torx screws making sure the large spring and the tiny metal comma looking piece are inserted. I believe my first mistake was hastily taking this apart and should have been taken out as a unit (actuating pin unit and electrical switch as one after removing the lock cylinder). Something originally was not making a connection, perhaps it was the brass arm with the spring attached. Works great now but I now have a dead battery from the door being open.