Replaced the battery in my 2002 PT Crusier got smoke, now wipers will not turn off

Asked by Nov 29, 2014 at 05:55 PM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

I replaced the battery in my 2002 PT Cruiser and when I connected the negative cable, I got sparks and then smoke.  I connected the battery based on the book.  Afraid the simple problem, had starter engaging before I replace the battery, may now be a bigger one.  When I turn the key, I do not hear the starter engaging.  Worse yet, I got lights, fan, and turn signals.  But I do not have radio or interior lights.  Did I blow out several fuses, or should I look for a new car?

Sounds like you might have crossed the cables, negative to positive and visa versa. Look for a blown fuse and reconnect the battery correctly. If that doesn't work, time for a tow to the nearest mechanic. No need to purchase a new car, it can be fixed.

if fuses are good, then you smoked a body ground, hook a jumper cable from the negative on the battery and the other to the radiator support and see if the problem still exist, the body ground is located on the upper engine mount to just under the power steering fluid cannister