Problem with stereo after car runs for awhile

135

Asked by Dec 22, 2010 at 01:27 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

My 2002 Cruiser radio works fine for awhile, but after the car heats up (drives for an hour or so with heat on), the sound goes off. The lights stay lit on the radio display, it looks normal but just no sound. After car sits for a few hours and cools down, the radio works fine again. No other electrical problems with any other systems in the car.

415

hmmm strange my guess is its over heating check the wiring in the back of the stereo, or maybe theres a hole or gap in your vents and when you have the heat on its blowing into the stereo and causing it to overheat but if not that maybe its just the wiring for your stereo.

Best Answer Mark helpful
135

I had this exact same problem too on my 2002 Base. The shop found it was the left front speaker grounding out. They replaced the speaker and it has been fine since. I had replaced the radio unit myself and that didn't solve it. It did the same thing. I was surprised that the speaker could make it do this, but it solved it for me.

Dodge started cutting corners and buying Chinese speakers the.coil in the bottom of speaker cone gets hot the coating on wires swell and short, radio goes in to mosfet protection, mosfet is where radio or amp goes to safe mode to prevent damage to radio head and or amp, pull panels rid yourself of cheap crap and get new speaks sony,infinity,kicker,ect.