Won't start

Asked by Hippey Dec 20, 2019 at 04:56 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon FWD

It is not showing any codes . . . It is getting spark at all plugs . . . I can hear the fuel pump running and kicking off . . . I have checked all fuses . . . I have sprayed starting fluid in it while cranking it over and does not hit a lick it sounds the same cranking it over with or with out starting g fluid . . . . My question is could it be the computer because it it was the timing wouldn't it be showing some type of code ? ? ? Or could it be the timing belt ? ? ? Or is it neither one of them things ? ? ? It really has me stumped . . .

Forgot to mention I was driving it at the time and when I got off the freeway and on the off ramp it just died . . .

17,965

If you have fuel and spark then the next thing to check is compression. You probably have a broken the timing belt. This explains the symptoms. Does it sound different when cranking the engine? If the oil cap is in the valve cover, pull it and see of the rocker arms move when you turn over the engine with the starter.

Ok thank you very much Gary and you had asked if it sounds different while cranking ? ? ? Do you mean from the way it did b4 it broke ? ? ? If so than yes,yes sounds totally different . . . I should had thought about doing that now I feel kinda stupid for not checking and seeing if the rocker arms were doing there job . . . I just automatically thought since it wasn't throwing a code it was in the brain but I am still learning about all this knew school stuff which the one thing I learned was I really really prefer the old school cars and trucks so much more . . . Lol . . . But I will keep you posted and let you know what I come up with . . . Have you ever changed a timing belt in one of these ? ? ? Not much room to fo anything , If you have do you think it be easier to just pull the whole motor out ? ? ? Once again thank you very much for your reply . . . Hope you and your family have wonderful Holidays with a lot more to follow . . .