Head Gasket for Pt Cruiser

Asked by Jan 12, 2015 at 07:35 PM about the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

My 2001 PT Cruiser letting out white smoke from the pipe and I was told I need to change the head-gasket. The mechanic said it will be $1,300 for parts and repair. The car has 214,000 miles on it what will you guys suggest on this. If it do not worth repair how may I go about scraping it?

24,835

You're looking at a sub-$1,000 car, maybe even half that, the mileage kills any hope of getting a decent price out of it especially as a "mechanic's special," so you might be better off scrapping it, unless you want to try replace the head gasket yourself, and drive the car the rest of the way into the ground, lol. It can take a long time to part out the car, but you might get lucky, you want to pull all the body panels and store them, especially doors. Dont sell pieces and parts off the doors either, sell them whole - glass, trim panels, window regulator, etc. Sell the door as a complete unit, otherwise scavengers will pick over it removing some minor part leaving you with an unsellable door. Sell the seats as a complete set as well, there's a reason why dismantlers sell complete sets of seats as a unit, cause if they sell one seat then they're left with a broken set they can't get rid of. Parting out a car isn't going to make you rich but it makes you more money than just selling it for scrap.

5,285

Head gasket sets for your car are around $80, a Service Manual for $20. If you're adventureous you could try to fix it, after all your other option is maybe scrap it.

1,165

Then you could just buy another engine at a scrap yard and install it with help. My vote is to part it out unless you really like the cruiser. Get another one and be happy. 214 grand is a lot of miles.