engine malfunction light is flashing

Asked by Dec 01, 2008 at 09:24 AM about the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

Need some help, ASAP. I bought a used PT Cruiser, it has close to 80,000 miles on it. I have had it six months. It has the small automatic engine. I noticed when I got it, that the car would do some jerking or lurching type feeling when I would hit around 50 mph. My husband said it was acting like it was not wanting to change gears at this speed. If I let off the gas, or gave it more gas, it would correct itself. The problem has gotten worse since the gas shortage. I have added a few rounds of fuel injector cleaner about every other fill up. This would seem to help. But in the last two fill ups, it is doing the jerking a lot. Mostly still at 45-50 mph, but have also started noticing that during acceleration, the car acts likes it just doesn't have the pep to get going. If I turn on the air or heat, it will do this at any speed or when idiling. Last night the engine light came on and stayed on. It has been cranked and driven three times since, and the light stays on. This am the light will start flashing when I try to acclerate going up a hill. I have parked the car, and want to have it looked at. I will need to drive ten miles into town to a Honda dealer to have it looked at. Should I run by Auto Advance and have a test done first, to know the codes? Or take it straight to dealer? Also, should I have it towed and not driven at this point? I am afraid of damaging my car. Thank you so much! Katherine

Eric Cevallos

if you have tripple a use your free towing of find some one that does have triple a and use thiere card to get it towed to a mechanic. make sure you have them check the problem and inform you before they do any work!!!! depending on what the problem is, you might want to get a second quote on the price to get it fixed before you let them service your vehicle!

Jacob Fraser

likley the issue it solved by now, but a good thing to do with these cars is to check for trouble codes with the odometer, turn the ignition on,off,on,off,on. and it will show a list of trouble codes stored in the ecm. make sure you wait untill the odometer lights up each time the key is turned on. and do not start the engine just turn the key to the run posistion, and then back off