What is wrong with my automatic transmission, or is it the computor ?

Asked by May 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM about the 1994 Chrysler Le Baron GTC Convertible

The car will run for a long time, sometimes a short time, shifting out great, Then it will decide it is not going to shift into high gear, I will finally get back home driving like a turtle.
I can take the positive battery cable off wait a while and it will shift great again.

17,145

driving like a turtle is this so called limp mode.Is it the tranny that is messed up or is it the sensors, or the P.C.M. -who knows? Either you do your own research on your tranny or get out your wallet. I did the research on mine and proved to the mechanics that they knew absolutely NOTHING. Fixed my own for under a $100.00 but took a lot of time. At my hourly fee I could have replaced the car for the time I spent ;but, since the time I spent was my own (didn't turn away any billable hours) time wasn't money. It was fun and educational working my way through the voodoo of transmission myth & lore and mechanics' ignorance of their trade. It's must be broke -REPLACE IT.