Digital speedometer stays on "0 MPH" when I first start driving and then starts up a minute or so later.

Asked by Aug 11, 2016 at 09:41 AM about the 1991 Chrysler Le Baron 4 Dr STD Sedan

I warm the car up before driving.  It has about 78,000 original miles (true miles!) About a month ago, the original dash shorted out and we replaced it with one off a car with 30,000 more miles on it - odometer shows about 108,000 miles on it.  Sometimes, but not every time I start to drive it the speedometer will not move off 0 MPH and then after a short time, it will kick in at whatever speed I'm going - usually between 35-45 MPH.  The time it stays on zero varies, sometimes it is about 30 seconds, other times it can be 2-3 minutes.  It only happens in the morning when I first drive the car.  The Check engine light has also been coming on the same way - in the morning when I first drive the car and when I turn the car off and back on it goes away and stays off.  I've taken it to my mechanic who is extremely good and they have checked out everything and nothing is wrong.  They  believe it is some sort of disconnect between the digital dash and the computer.  they have also checked out the dash and everything appears to be fine.  Any ideas?

No answers yet