Battery Replacement

Asked by Jan 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM about the 2007 Toyota Prius Touring

I've heard that you have to replace a Prius' battery every 3-4 years and that it's around $3,000 to replace. Is this true? I'm looking at buying a Prius but am a little hesitant after hearing that.

10

Sorry, just came across the site a few minutes ago. As for your question... We have a 2005 and in August it will have been five years since our purchase. So, no, that isn't true. Toyota warrants them for 8 years. At least that's what I remember. I know it's a little late but I hope that can help you.

95

I don't know how that myth got started, perhaps other car companies trying to bring `em down? Perhaps it's true w/other hybrid systems but with Toyota's system, there has never been a battery replaced other than one that's been in accident or was defective to begin with. And even if that was true, Toyota warranties their hybrid system for 10 years (not 8) or 100k. My step father also has a 2005 Prius w/over 200k and has never had to do anything but replace wear/tear parts. Our 2008 is now just over 50k and it's just the best mid-sized family car you could buy. Power is more than adequate, we avg. 48mpgs yearly and the technology is kick-ass...which other car co's are just now finally catching up and offering at a main-stream price like the Prius has done since 2004. If for some freak reason a battery were to go, there are several salvage yards around the country offering them for $700...shipping/installed would be about $1,500 tops...if you couldn't install it yourself. Get one, you won't regret it.

60

That is not true. What is true is that the Auxiliary 12v battery does need replacement every 3-4 years. but it only costs about $150. their is two batteries in a prius. a small one that starts the car (12v) and a large one that drives the car (230-310V depending on model). The large one lasts for about 150xxx miles and can be replaced by toyota for about 3000$ or by www.priusrebuilders.com for about $950

3,815

No Look around 800-1300

40

I have a 2010 Toyota prius and after approx. five and half years and 52000 miles on it, the auxiliary battery failed. Total cost was $275 ($200 parts& tax for 12v aux. battery and 1 hour labar charge@$75). I inquired the cost of 3rd party Optima battery at Autozone and it was quoted to be $229 excluding tax.

20

I have a 2007 Prius and just had to replace the auxilliary battery for $245. I have 139,546 miles on it and this is my first battery replacement.

114,935

I would look at the total cost to own a Prius. They are expensive to buy and you can buy cars that get almost the same mileage for a lot less money. Figure out what a 100,000 miles worth of gas will cost for each car and then look at the purchase price and add it all up.

95

if you buy a used hybrid, it makes complete sense to own one! Even more so if you opt for one that is more of a basic trim. If you buy one brand new, off-the-lot, it makes no sense. But really, imho, it makes no sense to buy a brand new car off the lot regardless of its composition.

30

I have a 2013 Prius Persona and I just replaced the auxiliary battery at a dealership in California. $273 without the $65 labor charge and it's not covered under the 10 year/100k mile warranty - only the main, hybrid battery is covered.

114,935

Green cars drain your green into the dealers bank account.

20

I have a 2004 Prius with over 235,000 miles (381,000 KM) and the main battery still is working fine. However the auxiliary battery does seem to need to be replaced every few years rickmin

I have a 2013 Prius C and had to replace the 12V Auxiliary battery at 34,856 miles, which was under the 36K miles under warranty for this battery, but over the 3 year mark (unfortunately for me the 3 yr mark, came before the 36K mile mark).

10

We gave my daughter our first Prius (2004) with 200,000 miles on it in 2010. It is now 2017 and she has 270,000 miles on it. The large battery has never been replaced. Now that is what I call a reliable car! Our mechanic tells us buying a used Prius 10 years or more with low mileage has a greater chance of the large battery failing. Beware!

20

We have a 2007, bought in November 2006. We have never had to replace either battery and we have over 190,000 miles on these batteries. Last check up stated the main battery was going strong.

Not even close. My 2012 Prius battery is still perfectly fine after 6 years, and it costs nowhere near that much. The truth is usually somewhere between the worst rumor you heard and the best one.

I bought my first Prius c at continental Toyota il on 2013 , but now the main battery is failed with 135000 miles On it , The service guy told me it’s $3900.00 for the new battery replacement ,why the battery life is so short only 4 years

Actually, the secret is not allowing either battery to cycle to far between deep discharge and full charge. It has little to do with the number of cycles. The misunderstanding comes from test which only cycle the battery from full charge to discharge for each repetition. This is the quickest way to shorten the life of most rechargeable batteries. This has little to do with the way most electric cars are designed, depending on the model and driving style. Car manufacturers can design the car to cycle any way they like, to either lengthen it's life or shorten it. Fortunately, the Prius is one of best, because they keep their battery cycling ranges fairly narrow. My Prius Plug-in uses a lithium ion battery which has about 3 times the capacity of the standard Prius. Although technically, Li-ion batteries have a shorter number of cycles, Toyota decided to keep them working longer by reducing the range to between about 40- 70% if memory serves (no pun intended). I'm sure Toyota would like to build in a similar longevity in the regular Prius, but quite simple, it's like a tuna trying to do the work of a shark, so it must cycle deeper and frequently to do the same work. It doesn't have the extra capacity via the rechargeable virtual partition which serves as the 12-mile EV battery, therefore it must cycle more deeply. t makes sense that it won't last as long.

I forgot to add the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect