Why won"t my 92 Mustang stay running after shutting off and starting several times in a row

Asked by Jun 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM about the 1992 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback

I have a 92 Mustang that I wrote in about. I was having trouble with the car starting afterdriving it for a while. The car would not stay running and sounding similar to starving for gas. Each time this happens and I try to start it, I can hear the fuel pump going. The car is not overheating altho in las vegas the temp outside is in the 100's. It was suggested  I change the TFI, which I did. The car ran fine for a few days and then today for the first   time it died out while I was driving down the road. I had been driving it for about an hour  with only one shut off. Then I made one more stop and shut it off for about 15 minutes. It started back up and I drove for about 3 blocks and it died out and wouldn't start for about 30 minutes. While it was sitting there I checked the fuel pressure at the valve on the gas line and it shot out a spray. I then went to start the car and it ran fine and I drove home. What's going on?

24,225

I think that your first comment "similar to running out of gas" is right on. Sorry but gasoline spraying out of the schrader valve does not determine fuel pressure. That takes an actual gauge. You can have fuel pressure but not enough to supply a running engine. The injectors use high pressure and a pump that delivers gallons of fuel per minute. Heck, the residual gasoline in the fuel rail of a hot engine can build enough pressure to spray like that. It does sound like a bad pump.

we had a run on stator and modules on those back in the day, TFI module is mounted on distributor and the stator is in distributor, those were pretty common to heat up and stall,as tracy said fuel is also a very probable cause,when it dies check for spark at the coil wire,hope this helps

145

Just had a similar prob on a 5.0. Bad distributor module and bad coil

Replace the gasket , replace fuel pump or maybe filter , check the oxygen sensors - could be telling the car to run on 'safe mode' ...dunno