can i put a v8 engine where its a v4 engine?

Asked by Feb 22, 2008 at 06:55 PM about the 1992 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback

i want to know if i can put an engine v8 5.0 on my mustang hatchback , My car has a 4 cylinder automatic on it but i want to make it standar . to make it standar i just have to install the pedal clutch n wire it?

6,485

The easiest and cheapest is to sell the car and buy a 5-speed model. The work that it requires and the cost for everything is just not worth it. It is just not as simple as putting a 5-speed in. Your car is also computer controled, by the time you are done the swap, what you will spend. you could of bought a 5-speed model and put a tranny in the other one. Cut your losses and sell it and buy a 5-speed model. You will need the engine/tranny, and if you are staying with the computer you will need the computer and wiring harness (if you are staying with fuel injection), new motor mounts, heavy duty springs and shocks (alignment once you are done), upgraded rad, becarefull of the distribtor (the V-8 going in, I normally leave it off until the V-8 is in). depending on the tranny in the car and the one going in you might need a new driveshaft. Plus a few more thing I am sure I have forgotten. You will need some bucks and lots of time and pataince. plus a few bottles of Tylenol - extra-strength. There is going to be alot of trial and error. plan ahead and take your time. If you dont think that you have enough knowledge see if you can get someone else to do it, If not sell the car and buy one with a V-8 in it. You can buy a 92 5.0 5-speed for (around) 500-3500. then spend a little "doing it up" and modifying it. This is the smartest, cheapest way to go. As I said earlier I am sure I missed something. This is NO easy task. Best of luck

1,165

You could buy a "doner" car. A car with a good engine and transmission to swap into your existing car. If your car is in great shape , you like it , and you don't want to sell it. This is probably the best way to swap. It can be hard to find a good used V-8 Mustang , but , some good deals can be made on cars that have body damage . Try looking into a wrecking yard for a good car to swap parts from . Some good info can be researched on the internet , as to what you will need to do to the swap. Get as much info as possible , and be prepared to spend money on all sorts of surprises. If you are swapping in a new engine and transmission, you should still try to find a good Doner car to get misc parts ( brackets, crossmembers , radiator , ect ) Remember you will need to beef up the rear differential to handle the extra power( an 8.8 rear end from a V-8 will do fine ) , as well as suspension parts ( springs struts ) as the V-8 will weigh more then the 4 cylinder engine . I hope this helps you !!

335

get the springs and rearend out of a 5.0, wiring harness, engine and trans, double hump crossmember, its really not that expensive at all if you do your own work. I've taken this a step further and am working on dropping in a big block 460 based race motor I've built

45

completely do-able. we just did our second motor swap in a 87 notch last week. we swapped out the 4cyl for the 5.0, the trans for a t-5, we beefed up the rear, and then simply ran power to the motor. we also converted to a carb vs. the fuel injection for simplicity. took us the entire weekend to do, friday night-sunday afternoon, but well worth the pay off sunday night when we beat up some imports with it.

15

first of all.. there is no such thing is a v4 in a mustang... but yes you can do it, it requires a lot of work

335

yep, not a "V"4 but an I-4...2.3L

985

haha... yeah v4... haha... good luck is all i gotta say... if ur gonna do the work yourself its doable... if u cant do all the work urself then well... the bill from the shop will far surpass the cost of the car likely... sell her and get urself a 5speed V8 it is a hell of a lot of work... you could look at getting a engine with a transmission but u better have the wireing harness, computer, new motor mounts (that wont be too tough) but ur also gonna want to look at all the other aspects of the car... rear end... driveshaft? Moving past that i dont know if there was a difference in the brakes but with more power comes more responsibility get brakes>> BIG ONES... and for a good set of brakes ur looking at big dollars... for the full conversion ur probabally looking at 3500 for a engine (used and rebuilt) probabally another 500 for a tranny... T5s are all over... harness and computer for about 300 bux... new rear end and driveshaft... 500 brakes (ford racing sells a cobra kit 2150$) oh and ur probabally gonna want to look at the suspension... umm thats expensive too... so in short sell her and get urself something else... for that u can get a nice 94-95 5.0... i think there prettier hahaha...

255

ok here's my take on it. i agree with a bit of what everyone has said, some more than others but whatever. if you want to retain fuel injection which is certainly ideal, it gets much more complicated and expensive and you likely are better to just buy a 5.0, if not it's not so bad. with a carb'd 5.0, you'll need tranny if it's an auto, if it's a 5spd you can take the cheap route and get a bellhousing for your 4cyl tranny and bolt it up, not ideal for longevity but it has been done. you'll need a radiator. the 4cyl driveshaft is smaller but you can use it. the rearend should be changed but you can keep it until you get sick of one wheel wonder burnouts, it'll spin so easily i doubt it'll break. as for the brakes the late 80's early 90's 4cyl cars have the same size brakes as the early 80's 5.0 so while you won't be up to the stopping power of another 92 5.0 you'll be as good as an older one so not exactly unsafe, although mustangs aren't known for great stock brakes at the best of times. if you want dual exhaust you should get a double hump tranny cross member, but even that isn't must. you might want to get a gas tank for a carb car but there may be a way around that. it really all depends what you're looking for, if you just want a V8 mustang to cruise around town in that sounds good and can lay some rubber this setup should make you happy. as with any project , more money typically means a better setup.

45

Don't bother. Leave the car as it is. There's way more involved than you think (ie Electrical). If you call it a V4, you know little about cars, and should find an actual V8 car, rather than wasting your money on beefing up a wimpy 4 cyl...

85

Wimpy 4 cyl? You have no respect for the 4 cyl Mustang making you not a real mustang enthusiast.

85

As some of the people said already.. its probably best to keep it as it is and buy a 5.0 v8. You can always turbo your 4 cyl mustang, but thats a whole other story. With your turbo Mustang, you'd own the v8. With these high gas prices, you should just keep as is and instead spend your money on improving the look of it. Install a Cold air intake from mustangsunlimited.com, add a flowmaster exhaust, and give it a paint job. After all this, your 2.3L 4 Cyl mustang will sound, look and perform much better for under $200. The paint job will vary between the condition the color its at right now. Just remove the rust if it has any by doing some touch ups.

125

yea you can put a v8 in their i would

115

dont ever put a v8 in a car meant for a "v4??". theres no chance of the engine mounts or the engine bay standing up to the torque of a v8. sure ur car would be a hell of a lot faster but only for about a week before your torqued it to death.

55

it is a ton of work and it would be a whole lot less work and probably cheaper to just sell it and get a 5.0 5speed.

yes. all you need to do is put a v8 5.o engine block in it and get every thing re sized to the 1992 Ford Mustang 2 Dr LX Hatchback

the onley post to this question that makes since is casper and the ones against it,NO is the simple answer.and why dig up this old post.

45

Yes you can. It might take some work but it is possible. Right now i am in the Process of putting a 460 big block in a 94 mustang that had a v6 in it.

45

try the june 2002 issue of 5.0 mustang &super fords. Great article on how to do it and what you need.