explorer cranks over but wont start because of theft system

Asked by Dec 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM about the 1992 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

Ok I took my explorer mudrunning and got
stuck going up a hill came out the next day
and left the keys in the rain and couldn't find
them. So me and two friends tried using a
screwdriver to start it but didn't get
anywhere. Found the key and the theft
system was blinking quick but I tried again
and it worked only twice. Now it's not
starting at all what's causing it not to start
Ps. Last time I'm getting something with a
theft system lol.

If you ripped out the ignition lock cylinder it's done. You'll have to be towed to your local Ford Dealer. Hopefully they can fix it for you. Considering your Explorer is 24 years old they may not be able to. Especially if they don't still have the scan tool to plug into it. Talk to the dealer first. You may have to see if a locksmith can replace the ignition lock cylinder and program new keys for you. For future reference the days of starting a vehicle with a screwdriver are long gone! Unfortunately this is going to be an expensive lesson for you. HTH. -Jim

No I never pulled it out lol didn't even cut wires

If you purchase a new lock cylinder, you will have to purchase one which will have one with the anti-theft device made into it. It still has to be programmed by a locksmith, or the dealership. NOTE: on the 99 explorers do not open and close the door without cycling the lock/unlock with the key fob, if you have one. The car will not start.

U just helped me out man I pressed the buttons on the door too and opened it from the inside so if I knew the code for the door it should deactivate right?

My knowledge is with the 99. So you have to take that into consideration when reading my explanation, and apply it to your situation regarding your '92. If I turn off the vehicle, exit the vehicle and do not lock it, upon returning and opening the door and getting in, the vehicle will have a dead key when I try to start. In that case, I have to cycle the lock/unlock with the key fob for the vehicle to start. You can also try cycling the lock/unlock with the door switch, but I do not believe it will work. Since you lost your key in the mud, the FOB may be damaged and not operate. Try another fob if you have one. If you have a key pad on the door, try looking for your owner's manual for directions to the code.