92 Ford Explorer, the car dies if you make a sharp right turn. No problems when you make a left turn. I am being told it is the fuel pump. If that were the case why does it only happen making a sharp right

Asked by Jul 21, 2014 at 01:15 PM about the 1992 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XL 4WD SUV

I lost my husband a few months ago, he was the fix it guy.  I have been driving for 50 years and I know a little about cars.  I just had the transmission rebuilt, new tires all the way around and a basic tune up, plugs and new wires.  The car runs great, burns oil but I guess that can be expected considering the age.  But, I have this other problem,  when you make a sharp right turn the car dies, it will start back up, but this is unsettling when getting onto the freeway etc.  I am being told it is a bad fuel pump, if that were the case, why would it act up only when making a right turn.  My husband felt it is a wire that is grounding out when making a right turn. He passed before he could fix it.  I really need someone to help me with this.  Every time a mechanic sees a women come into the shop the dollar sighs go up.  I really need some input.  Thanks

18,310

Try this. Sit in the car with the motor running and the gear selector in park. Rev the engine a little, just enough to get it slightly above idle. Not quickly as possible, turn the steering wheel to the right. If the engine kills, your husband may have been correct. If it does not kill, and only kills when the vehicle is in motion it could be a fuel problem. In any event I suggest you take it to a Ford dealership. Do not tell them what you suspect, let them find the problem. You will not get any terrific break in price, but at least if the problem continues you can bring it back to the dealership.