I have a whining noise.

Asked by Apr 05, 2017 at 06:51 AM about the 2001 Ford Windstar Cargo Base

I have a whining noise when idling, when accelerating and turning. I have
noticed the power steering fluid was low,I filled it. The whining decreased but
did not go away. Later in the week the whining was right back (sound as if it is
coming from the engine) but the fluid is full. Anyone have any ideas?

Yea, Ford is notorious for there power steering pumps to whine. You could go to a shop and have the power steering serviced, fluid change, and on some systems there is a internal filter to change out, not sure on yours tho, but having it serviced will help it.

I use a turkey baster every year sometimes sooner to pull out as much of my power steering & brake fluid (without it running engine off) and replace with fresh. This needs to be a habit everybody needs to be doing. Next time you do a trans service if yours does not have a drain plug buy a drain plug kit and install it (pan) so you can freshen it up too (want to this as soon as you buy it new do not wait until you have high miles.

My 98 F150 so far so good, has not whined. Been doing the turkey baster fresh fluid replace since 2001. I drain my radiator every year too replace with 50/50 mix I mix myself from full strength cause I do not like buying water.

And on the anti-freeze, you get 2 gallons out of the concentrate vs 1 gallon of 50/50 mix for the same price.