why would my exhaust manifold be glowing red hot?

Asked by Jun 27, 2012 at 01:17 AM about the 2002 Ford Taurus SEL

13,195

What type of driving are you doing? It takes a lot of heat to get manifolds glowing. Usually happens under very heavy loads for extended periods of time.

254,135

right, and or they might be clogged. Do you have drivability problems, such as the car not going over a certain RPM or speed?

13,195

Never heard of clogged manifold........explain

1,155

Could be a clogged catalytic converter.

6,855

Sounds like a clogged up catalytic converter to me. Manifolds do get hot to touch but not normal to glow unless the exhaust from the engine isn't leaving thru the exhaust pipes fast enough. Converters can clogg up to the point of the car either not running at all or running very rough. If that manifold is glowing, it's probably at 900-1000 degrees and it's too hot to drive and could cause a fire and burn up your car and possibly with you in it. Call an exhaust repair place like Meinke or MIdas or Car-X and see if they think you can drive it in or should you have it towed. If one is very close by by only a few blocks then it should be OK to drive it when the engine is cooled down from the night before but not if it's farther away or the engine is already warm or hot. I myself would just have it towed in just to be safe. You don't want to be in a car that catches fire. It can explode with you in it very quickly if that manifold is glowing. Call the exhaust repair shop and make an appointment, but call a towtruck first, that's what they are there for. to move your car safely. Good luck, Kenny.

215

its simple its clogged up change your manifold end of problem.

13,195

It most likely does this only while cruising under high loads? A clogged up exhaust manifold will not glow red hot. It is basically the same as starving your engine of air. You will produce less power therefore less heat. It would be like putting a lawn mower engine carb on a V8 engine.......no power ,......no heat. Even at "wot" you would not generate enough heat. You would have lots of fuel and no air for the mixture all that fuel would cool down the mixture and the combustion. If somehow you have late ignition timing that would cause this scenario.

770

In a 2002 Toyota Sienna i change the spark plugs after a 30 minute drive it stared shaking a it was night by that time we know it, that the manifold was red hot i disconnected the catalytic converter and still got red hot i don't k now what can it be; how do i check if is late ignition timing or if is something more.

330

i got a 1992 chevy truck 350 tbi ehaust glowing red changed o2 sensor and checked exhaust its not clogged up any idea

50

I have to agree with both points Clogged cat Plus an additional reason they got clogged, to much fuel aka Rich, if it's Immediate running rough it's not the O2's they don't turn on till operating temp and since headers and manifolds rarely ever clog loosen your pre cat bolts spread the pipe 1/4 inch or so and see if there is an improvement besides sounding like a drag car =Þ if yes then it's clogged if no move on to pertinent sensors with a digital volt meter you can test most The big ones are TPS, MAF, Primary Temp sending unit on top of the motor next to the fuel rail usually brass. those are the easy checks, rent a fuel pressure gauge at auto zone or such costs nothing since you get your money back when you return it, free is always good

250

Why would a 87 chevy 350 manfold glow

6,855

Christine, read me post above that I answered 2 years ago. That should answer your question. Kenny/MrBlueOval

140

Got 98 Chevy 4x4 truck with a vortex 350. The truck has no cat and I have changed the fuel pump destritbur and spider both manifolds get glowing red what can cause this?

140

Timing is out

140

I have a 95 mustang gt 5.0 with a 600 carb 4bbl my manifold was cherry red this morning wen i started da car but it was idling high usually it would drop dwn but it didnt .. N abmin later it back fired on me sum1 help me out

140

That can happen if you exhaust valves seat is not closing properly.2 or if you auto choke is not working properly and forcing to much petrol into the combustion chamber,

140

140

Might b my choke messing up im thinking first time it done that

100

Just recently bought 84 corvette exhaust was glowing red there were two previous attempts to do a tune up first person's attempt had the spark plug wires wrong second persons attempt got the spark plug wires in the right order but has the distributor set one terminal out from where it should be that doesn't really make a difference as long as the rotor matches the terminal where the problem came in is that it wasn't in true time once putting it in true time and relearning the computer in clearing the set code did the trick no more glowing exhaust so if you did any kind of tune up that may be your issue rather than a clogged converter or manifolds

100

More info when setting the timing you need to unplug the EST electronic spark timing and set the timing then as a base time then turn the car off after tightening the distributor and disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 seconds or a little longer and while waiting the 30 seconds plug the EST back in then after the 30 seconds plug that is negative battery terminal back in and the computer will relearn and it will reset your idle

100

And for those with 350 engines that want total advance time follow the procedure above set your bass time then bring the car up to 2500 to 3000 rpms then reset your timing 234 to 36 degrees advanced and that should be total advanced time hope this helps some of you

90

I've got a 95 jeep Cherokee sport just put all new exhaust on and the cat is glowing red and it blew a hole in the new muffler after 3 weeks

50

Could it be the Knock Sensor???

just down the road and about a mile. normal driving. I know it takes a lot to get red hot. That is what has a puzzled.

F. Guffey Glowing after it leaves the engine, most engines with air pumps have caused this problem. The problem? The engine is running too rich and not completely burning the gas until the air pump injects air into the rich mixture.

I have a 04 mitsubishi eclipse spyder and just changed the head gasket it is running rough and backfiring and noticed the exhaust is glowing red. The timing is perfect but after reading a few of these do I need to unplug the neg. battery and let the system reboot