battery .. starter.... altenator??

20

Asked by Aug 23, 2009 at 03:34 PM about the 2002 Ford Taurus SE

My Taurus is a 2002 with 82,500 miles on it.  Not cranking properly for the past week.  Had the electric check at a auto parts store and the battery was GOOD the Starter was GOOD but the altenator was putting out between 13 and 14 never a steady reading.  Now the car will not start, lights, windows etc still work. Husband says it is the battery,(battery bought new last Oct.) not a year old yet. The car will not "jump" off.  Any ideas what it could be???

1,515

There are all sorts of things that can kill a battery. 1. driving profile - driving lots os short distance will not give the battery proper charge. letting the car sit for long periods. 2. Once a battery has been drained it is hard to get it back to 100% even if you charged it for days. So it can be the battery if the battery wasnt taken care of. 3. Alternators tend to fail when its hot. (not all the time) so its hard to get a definite yes or no (if the alternator is the source). umm.... Im ruling out the starter from the information you gave me because it sounds liek its turning over but doesnt have enough juice to start the car. unless you have a multimeter to monitor the alternators output voltage its kind of hard to test it. so try getting a new battery and then monitor the voltage. if the battery dies again get a new alternator. Its the simplest way to go through things if you dont have the correct tools to diagnose the problem.

1,515

oh i just posted up simple of examples of why the battery will die... just start simple

20

Ok, got the car back from the machanic today. Verdict is in, THE STARTER!!